Preperations

Amai POV~

The next few days had dragged along slowly, the only difference between them was the lessons I had been taking. Throughout this time I had continued doing odd jobs for Captain Levi as a way to fend away the boredom of doing nothing all day. And to to pay back the favours he had done me, even though I had spent all this time around him, I still couldn't figure out where I had seen him before. Today was the day before the expedition and I had just finished my lesson with Petra. She had drilled the meanings of the different flares into my head, and the direction the regiment was to move depending on where the flare was. My head was pounding from the long and tedious lesson.  I was carrying my books in my arms as I headed to my bedroom, I found it odd that I was in a single bedroom while other cadets were bundled together in rooms, maybe they don't trust me. That's understandable.

Brinley hadn't bothered me again, probably because I haven't been alone. Next time I will stand up to her instead of being scared. My confidence had grown in the past days and I wasn't as nervous as before, the regiment was warm and welcoming and I was treated like a cadet that had been there for years. Of course I was still slightly weary of these people, but my outer walls had been chipped away by every smile and kind gesture. I pushed open the door to my room and lazily placed down the books on the table beside my bed. With a deep sigh, I plonked myself down on my bed. I had this afternoon free, though, unfortunately, everyone was preparing for the expedition, leaving me by myself. I groaned and fell onto my back, leaving my legs hanging off the edge of the bed. I laid there trying to relax, when I heard a impatient knock on my door.

"Come in" I called, quickly pulling myself into an upright position. Hanje burst through the door, her brown locks of hair flying madly as she dashed into the room. She came to stand in front of me, her face right in front of mine.

"Amai, have you ever watched ODM gear in use?" she practically yelled in my face, my mind instantly remembering times in the underground. I could remember a trio, knocking down a cart of food, and . . . the survey corps. I was being moved from place to place then, though, that was the first time I had seen something as beautiful as the ability to soar through the sky, and have the freedom of a bird. I was kicked and told to keep moving after stopping to look the three, who's faces had never been burned into my mind. It was a short memory, one that I had gained last year.  

"Ugh, once" I muttered, hoping she wouldn't ask where.

"Well, get ready to see the pros in action, the special operations squad is practising, come on!" She yelled, making my head pound harder, I had no choice as she grabbed my uninjured arm and ran out of the door with me behind. I couldn't help but smile as we ran, I had become closer to Hanje throughout the week, and everyone else that I now considered friends. We sprinted through the building, Hanjes grip not once loosened as we burst out the front of the building and into the warm, summer air. As Autumn was nearing, the trees were beginning to turn orange, though there were a few which remained the same green shade as before. Next week was to be the first week of Autumn, meaning the days would become cooler. The landscape was a blur as we ran towards towering trees a few hundred metres away. I could recognise stables out of the corner of my eye, I had a lesson there yesterday about horses commands. Our feet thudded against the ground as we approached the trees. By now both of us were beginning to get out of breath, we stopped at the edge of the forest as we both panted.

"Come on, this way" she yelled as she continued to drag me, I panted as we ran, long distance running isn't my thing. I was thankful when we stopped in front of a large wooden contraption, shaped as a human? Hanje finally let go of my hand allowing me to take in a few deep breaths and regain my composure. A large wooden log was placed on the nape of the figure, being used as a representation of a titans nape. Two cadets were placed alongside the figure, holding onto ropes, connecting to the body, obviously to move it.