Chapter 13

Sight. Raquel sat at the smoke table to the north of Kyle's container. This way, she had a bird's eye view of his door. The table was crowded with smokers, but it was OK, because she knew most of them, and it was as much a social meeting spot as it was a designated smoking area. She sat on the table instead of the bench to make sure she could see her target. Raquel had reckoned with the fact that Kyle no longer cared for her, but she could not get over him. He was all in her hair, as her grandmother used to say. That man was so fine it was ridiculous. Dani even referred to him as pretty. Raquel was not fond of the use of that adjective where Kyle was concerned, but she had to admit it fit him to a T. He was just perfect. Physically, he was flawless. Raquel dated plenty of fine men, that was one of her prerequisites. Men were always telling her how good she looked, so why would anyone think she would be bothered with a man who was not a looker himself? But there was something more to Kyle than just a perfectly wrapped package. He was smart, kept to himself, and he was a gentleman. He had a snotty attitude at times, but Raquel could deal with that considering all his other positive characteristics. The way he narrowed his eyes when he spoke, made her weak. His face would look the way one does when smoke gets in their eyes, but he managed to make it sexy as hell. He was the type of man you liked to watch while he slept. It was such a pleasant picture... She used to stare at his sleeping figure and wonder why she was so blessed.

Now she felt cursed. She had begun to build her future around a relationship with Kyle Brewster, and now both were in the toilet. She'd pictured their wedding, their home, and how their beautiful children would look. Raquel imagined her and Kyle building a life together and her thoughts of him as a husband and a father had been pleasant. Now, her thoughts of him stirred up anger and resentment. She could not comprehend his rejection. If they could just talk, maybe she could get him to give her another chance. The young beauty acknowledged she started being demanding and maybe a little obnoxious near the end of their thing. In all honesty, it never quite developed into what she would actually call a relationship. But she only started acting out because he started pulling away. Raquel could not figure out what went wrong. She and Kyle were good together and given the chance, she could have made him happy. They were couple royalty on this project. The one or two rare occasions they were seen out together, people made an effort not to stare.

She was dethroned swiftly. The princess cried herself to sleep last night because she texted her prince and discovered he had blocked her number. What had she done to make him act his way? To turn him so completely off? It had to be another woman... She watched his room until 2245 last night, but no one went in or out. Kyle usually came in kind of late because he went to the gym after work, but after he showered, he normally didn't leave his room for the rest of the night. Raquel knew his routine because she often sat at the table and watched his room. Some days she had to see him, even if it meant just watching him unlock his door and go inside.

It was almost 2230 and her cut off time was going to be 2300 or 2330 at the latest. Raquel's phone vibrated with a text. As she was reading the message, she noticed movement above and raised her head to see a female turn the knob and walk into Kyle's room. Raquel was stunned. She vaguely suspected this, but it just seemed so unbelievable she thought surely, she was mistaken. But there was no mistake; Joyce Carmichael just let herself into Kyle's container.

Raquel was livid. What the hell? How could he possibly be interested in that middle aged...To hell with this. I am going up there. She hopped off the table and prayed nutso forgot to lock the door behind her.