Chapter 19

Associations. Dane and Kyle were sitting in his office going over a report that was due that afternoon. Dane had excellent writing skills so he was the scribe, but he needed Kyle's input, so they usually collaborated on projects like this. Kyle was crunching numbers to give to Dane when he looked up and saw Malik standing in his doorway.

"How can I help you, Malik?" Kyle asked.

He had seen him quite frequently since he beat him up. At times, Kyle felt like the young man went out of his way to be seen by him. Dane sensed that Malik wanted to speak to Kyle alone and he needed to go to the bathroom anyway, so he made his exit. Once they were alone, Malik said, "I just wanted to tell you we found all those microwaves that were missing. They were in a container with some office supplies for some reason."

Kyle raised his eyebrows and said, "That's good news. Thanks for letting me know."

"Did you call security?" Malik nodded yes. "And did you put them where they belong and log them so that you can enter them in the system once the LOTD is withdrawn?" Malik again, nodded yes.

"Good," Kyle said, turning back to the calculator he had on his screen. Malik continued to stand there, much to his boss's annoyance. What now? Kyle thought.

"Was there anything else, Malik?" he asked, somewhat impatiently. Malik looked like he wanted to say something, but decided against it.

He smiled at Kyle and said, "Nah man, just wanted to tell you that," and walked out the door. Kyle wondered what that was all about and against his better judgement, called Malik back. There was no need for him to come and announce they had found the microwaves, because Kyle would see it on the reports they ran tonight. Reconciled items were always the first things he looked for.

"I need a favor. Do you think you can talk to security when they get here?" Kyle asked, "because I'll be tied up with this report for the rest of the morning." Malik nodded, grinned, and walked out of the office.

That evening, Kyle stood outside Joice's room waiting for her to come out so they could go eat dinner. He left work early and since that was a rare occurrence, they decided to go to the DFAC. It was the first week in October and the weather had suddenly turned very cold, so she went to get her heavier coat. Most of her things now resided in Kyle's room along with her, and he could not be happier. There was always the underlying theme that he was married and had two young sons to care for, but he constantly told himself he would cross that bridge later.

While he was waiting, Tyra walked out of her room, which was two doors down from Joice's room. Kyle's back was to her, so he did not see her come up behind him.

"Hey Kyle," she said, walking around so that she stood in front of him. He used to jokingly call her his cup of hot chocolate. She was almost as dark as him, and rated somewhere between cute and pretty on the looks scale. Tyra was tall and very slim and when she smiled, she had a deep dimple in her left cheek. Her hair was curly and she usually wore it down. Kyle had no quarrel with her, it was just that his interest was elsewhere these days.

"What's up, Tyra?" he replied, stepping back.

"Why have you not returned any of my calls or texts?" she asked him, shaking her head as though she was perplexed.

"I don't have anything to say to you," Kyle said, matter of fact.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean, Kyle?" Tyra said, through clenched teeth. "You go from inviting me to your room a couple of times a week, to acting like I don't exist? What did I do to you?"

Joice walked out of the door buttoning her coat. She was facing Kyle and was not aware Tyra was standing behind her. "We have to go back to your room to get my CAC card," she said, laughing, "I left it on your bed when you snatched off my lanyard..." Kyle put a finger to her lips and she stopped talking and turned around.

"Oh Lord! My apologies," Joice exclaimed, pleasantly. "Joice Carmichael," she said, smiling and extending her hand toward Tyra.

Tyra looked at her and then at Kyle, trying to decide if she should be rude or not. She knew this woman was the reason she had not heard from him. She saw them together quite a bit lately, but figured it was some sort of fluke and he would come to his senses. He could not be serious! She looked OK, but she was not his type at all and add to that the fact that she was a nut! Tyra saw her in the shower one day, sitting on the bench talking to some girl. They were both wrapped in towels and the girl was crying and Joyce was singing to her. In the damn shower, she was sitting there singing and praying or something! Kyle reached over, put his hand on top of Joice's hand, and lowered it back to her side.

"Let's go," he said, putting his hands on her shoulders.

"You're an asshole, Kyle!" Tyra said, angrily. "Joyce or whatever the hell your name is; you should know that you're dealing with a no-good ho!"

Kyle turned around, laughed and said, "So what does that make you, Tyra?"

When they sat down to eat 15 minutes later, Joice looked at her new boyfriend and said, "I am so confused, Kyle."

He smiled at her and even though he knew her statement was a lead in for a discussion about Tyra, said, "Why baby?"

"That is the third or fourth time I've been with you and a woman has basically accused you of dumping her. Are you seeing all these women?" she asked, squinting at him and blinking her eyes. Kyle sighed and ate a fork full of spaghetti. He looked at her and said, "Joice, I'm with you every night. As a matter of fact, if I am not at work, I'm either at the gym or with you."

"That's true," she conceded, "but we have only recently started... seeing each other. What about before me? In each case, these women were very upset with you."

Kyle shoveled more spaghetti in his mouth and took a bite of buttered bread. Joice stopped eating and was looking at him. He swallowed his food and said, "Look, I have female friends on this base. I've been here a long time and I just got to know a lot of people, some of them are women."

"So, you have not had sex with these women? These were all platonic relationships?" she asked, stirring her coffee. Joice articulated those questions the same way one would if they were asking about the weather. While he was formulating an answer, her voice interrupted his thoughts.

"Would you please get me some sugar?" she asked him, after tasting her beverage. Kyle welcomed the break. Damn! he thought, as he went to get the sugar. I am not ready for this inquisition. I hate all these questions! But I really have not been with anyone else since I met her. Maybe I'll just tell her that...

When Kyle returned to the table he told Joice: "I'm not gonna to lie to you and say I've been... celibate. But since I met you I have not been with anyone else sexually or otherwise."

"Well, why are these women so angry with you?" she asked.

"I guess because of what I just told you," Kyle said, exasperated and throwing his hands up. "They don't like the fact that I.... don't.... deal with them anymore. That's the truth, baby." He was actually less than proud about all the women he was sexually involved with in theater, although it never bothered him before. This was definitely something else that was new to him and he attributed feeling this way to his relationship with Rejoice Battle. There was something about her that made him want her to see only the good in him, even if there was a shortage of sorts. He was embarrassed that she'd had a glimpse into all of his mess...

Kyle felt drained at this point and hoped she was satisfied with his answers because he really did not want to discuss it anymore. He was not accustomed to answering to anyone and that took a lot out of him. "Are you ready?" he asked, "because I'm really tired."

"Well, let's go home and go to bed," Joice replied, getting up from the table. Now that's what I'm talkin' bout, Kyle thought, and smiled to himself as they walked out of the DFAC.