Chapter 15

Privacy. Darryl Task was worried about his friend Rejoice. He had not known Kyle very long, but this last year or so, they got to be buddies; and one thing Task knew for sure was Kyle had no shortage of women. He also had it on good authority that his buddy was married with children, so there was no way he could mean Rejoice any good. But there was definitely something going on between her and Kyle. She just went past them into the DFAC and Kyle stared at her until she was out of the door and could no longer be seen. Now he's distracted. Dante would crumble if he thought she was cheating on him... but she's just not the type...

"So, what's with you and Rejoice?" Task asked, unable to hold it in any longer, "and don't tell me nothing because you're out of sorts whenever you see her. You just stared her out of the DFAC."

Kyle looked at him and said, "Like I told you before, we're friends."

"Friends, huh? Really? Is that why she's avoiding you like the plague, because you and her are friends?" Task said, sarcastically. "Look Kyle, I'm a man just like you, so I know there is only so much you'll tell me and I respect that, but Rejoice is like a sister to me and I really don't want to see her hurt. She is one of the few people I know who I can honestly say does not deserve that from anyone."

Kyle stopped eating and said, "I don't want to see her hurt either, Task."

"OK, then what's going on?" Task demanded.

Kyle looked at him, rose from the table, and left the DFAC. Task checked his watch and saw that he still had 30 minutes before his next appointment was due. Just enough time to pay his old friend a visit.

Rejoice walked outside with Task once he told her he was there because they needed to chat. "Look Rejoice, I've already talked to Kyle and now I am coming to you. What is going on with you two? He and I are buddies; but you, you know how I feel about you and how I feel about Dante. Do I need to have a man to man talk with Kyle? As you well know, I would have absolutely no problem doing that," he said, putting his arm around her. Rejoice shook her head no and asked Task to refrain from confronting Kyle in any way.

"It's really not that big of a deal and I will take care of it, Darryl. Kyle and I are friends and maybe things were about to get a little out of hand, but all is well." Her voice was shaky.

Task stopped walking, put his hands on her shoulders and said, "If all is well, then why are you choking back tears?" She blinked and they rolled down her face.

"Did he hurt you?" he asked, feeling his temper rise.

"No Darryl, he did not. This one is all on me, OK? I, I tried to..." Rejoice shrugged and put her head down.

She was sobbing so hard her body shook. "I'm sorry, honey," he said, his anger morphing into deep concern for his friend. Task side hugged her and hoped with all his heart she would let go of this thing with Kyle. "Just tell me what I can do to help and you know I'll do it," he said, sincerely. She nodded her head and thanked him, but declined his offer. He ditched the side hug and held her close to him until the crying subsided. "You OK, Sis?" he asked, when he finally let her go. Rejoice assured him she was fine and thanked him for his care and concern. She knew his concern was genuine, but she also knew her friend Darryl Task very well. "Promise me you will not say anything to him about any of this," Rejoice said, as she wiped her face, "and I would like this documented as a formal counseling session, please." He shook his head in disbelief. She knew she had him there. Task was a licensed counselor, and from here on out he was mandated to protect her privacy regarding everything they just spoke about. Lucky for Kyle, because I sure would have been headed his way....