Chapter 7

Woman. Dante Specter was online paying bills. Ms. Battle has been shopping again, he thought with a smile. Dante was a decent looking forty something. He was medium height and nicely built. His complexion could best be described as sun kissed brown. He was divorced and just finished putting his youngest son through college. His oldest son joined the military a year ago, immediately after obtaining a bachelor’s degree in biology; so right now, things were good. Dante felt he was truly blessed of God in this second half of his life. He had a job most people only dreamed of and made more money in one year than the average American earned in five years. He was healthy and while he probably would not win any contests in the looks department, he would definitely place, and that was fine with him. The only thing in his life that was not perfect at this moment, was the only thing in his life he ever wanted and could not conquer. She went by the name of Rejoice Battle.

Dante met her when he was the CM in Iraq a few years back. Being the country manager or more commonly, the CM, on the project simply meant he was the top dog. Everything and everybody that pertained to or worked for his company, was under his management. Even though the pay was phenomenal, Dante had not looked back since leaving the high stress, high drama position just over two years ago. The only thing he regretted was leaving Joice. He was always a one-woman man for the most part. His strenuous climb up the ladder of success never allowed time for all the foolishness that usually came along with dealing with a bunch of women. However, Joice fascinated him from day one.

He met her when they were both going on R&R. He noticed her when she got on the chartered plane heading for Dubai and thought she was attractive. He was seated in business class and she sat next to him. The stewardess came over immediately and asked her to move further back into the cabin. Rejoice told her she just wanted to use the restroom and then she would gladly change her seat. Business class on the charter could not be purchased. It was strictly for VIPs or for friends of VIPs. Once everyone was seated, Joice went to the restroom and Dante talked to the lead flight attendant, explained who he was, and asked if Joice could stay put. When she came out of the restroom, the stewardess told her she could remain in business class, and asked her to fasten her seat belt.

Looking back, Dante knew then and there she was the woman for him. What a breath of fresh air after dealing with so many arrogant, self-centered women. They had eased into their relationship and he was relieved he did not have to play any of the silly games people seemed to be so fond of these days. Joice had been easy to converse with and honest to a fault. She hardly ever had a bad day and was not needy in the least. If anything, Dante had the feeling if they broke up tomorrow, she would not miss a beat. He, on the other hand would fall apart. It was not that he doubted her love, it was just that he never met a more emotionally self-sufficient person in his life. While Joice could be a passionate, loving woman, she never gave him the feeling she needed him. If anything, there was something about her that made him feel like he needed her more than he ever had any woman.

Marriage was the key with her type. She was a different breed who really was not comfortable with fornication—her word, not his. But, he could not seem to get her to just settle down and marry him. She accepted his ring; however, they had been engaged for a few years now. It wasn’t all her fault they weren’t married, but Dante would do anything she wanted, including going home and getting a regular job, if it meant the two of them would live together as husband and wife. She was special and he didn’t want to lose her…

Rejoice Battle moved about in her own little world, and if you were fortunate enough to be allowed to visit, you were better for it. While she frequently lost her glasses and her phones, she rarely lost her temper or her self-control. Joice lived on the bible and on making sure she treated others as she wanted to be treated. It was just that simple with her. She couldn’t see, was technologically challenged, and somewhat old fashioned; but Dante would not trade her for the world and would slay dragons to make her his wife.