three

Three days. Blaise hasn't spoken to Isabelle in three days. It was messing with him in a way that was difficult to explain. It was like he was a cracked mirror. As a whole, sure he functioned. Yet it wasn't right anymore, he didn't work right anymore.

Blaise hated ignoring Isabelle. She had so quickly wormed her way into every part of him, filling up the dark places within Blaise with her undeniable light. But Blaise wasn't stupid, he knew nothing good could come from being friends with the Hufflepuff girl. He had all of those plans his parents had that he must fulfill. There was no way around following their carefully detailed and organized schemes for his future.

Yet, as Blaise sat alone in front of the Slytherin fireplace late at night, he couldn't stop himself from thinking that it was his future. He shouldn't have to do all those things if he didn't want to. He was well aware of the consequences he would face if he didn't do them though. Like being disowned, his mind supplied. Blaise frowned into the fire in reply to his thoughts, trying desperately to drown them out. You can't really quiet screaming no one else could hear, though. So his efforts to silence his brain served only to make the screams louder. His groan being the only audible sign of his inward turmoil as he made his way up to the Boys' Dormitory and his awaiting bed.

When Blaise woke up the next day he felt different yet exactly the same. He wanted to be himself but leave behind the shackles of his parents' ideas. It felt as though he had woken up for the first time. He felt like his eyes saw the world differently. So as he walked up to breakfast he vowed to himself that he would delay his parents' plans for as long as he could. Blaise vowed that he would be friends with whom ever he liked and do what ever he liked until he had no choice but to obey his father and mother.

He could hide this from his family. He is a cunning Slytherin after-all.

Isabelle could not believe she had opened herself up to Blaise Zabini! It was stupid and thoughtless and she knew better now, in hindsight. But he had seemed so different, so free, when they had talked. Clearly that was just some scheme.

Three days! The boy hadn't spoken to her in three days. Isabelle had so openly enjoyed Blaise's company, had shared her alone-ness with him. She had allowed herself to believe that Blaise was good, to believe that someone like him could ever be friends with someone like her. She couldn't let her heart rule her so much. She had to learn to use her mind, to use her hard-learned logic. She would not let Blaise back in to her world so carelessly again.

Isabelle made her way to the Great Hall in a contemplative silence that seemed to consume her. She wasn't used to not being happy and today she was just plain glum. That stupid Slytherin.

"Good morning, Hannah," Isabelle greeted her friend, as she sat beside the girl at breakfast.

Hannah Abbott smiled cheerily at the brunette and made more room at the table for her. "Izzy, why so down?"

Isabelle looked at the concern on Hannah's face and sighed, "Its quite complicated. I'm a complete mess right now."

"Tell me Izzy, do your complicated sorrows have anything to do with a boy?" Hannah questioned, a mischievous glint in her eyes and a lopsided smirk on her lips.

The girl blushed, a fair pink tinting the tips of her ears and the apples of her cheeks, "You could say it's about a boy, but not in the way you're thinking."

"You know I don't believe you and you know I just don't want you to get hurt like last time."

"Han, please drop it. I ensure you this nothing like what happened with him," Isabelle explained, ending the conversation as she went back to eating her now slightly cold breakfast.

From the Slytherin table Blaise Zabini watched as Isabelle conversed with her friend. Isabelle was really something. The girl did things to Blaise's heart as she blushed. He didn't want to see her without that smile and blush ever again. He forced himself to stop staring and continue eating, worried some too-observant Slytherin would catch him.

A few minutes after Isabelle left for class, Blaise followed. He hoped to take his seat beside the girl. He was lonesome without her beside him the past few days.

The dark boy entered Potions to find his targeted seat vacant. Yes! He cheered inwardly, strolling over to the Hufflepuff girl's table. Upon further observation, Blaise could see that Isabelle was reading her textbook, paying him no mind. He just pulled out his seat and got comfortable beside her, waiting for her to notice him.

What Blaise didn't know was that Isabelle did notice his presence. She just didn't care. Or at least she pretends she doesn't care. Like she promised herself earlier, she would not let Blaise Zabini strut into her life so easily anymore. So she continued to read her Potions text without word.

"Isabelle..." she heard Blaise whisper halfway through lesson. She turned to the boy, trying her hardest to look emotionless. "How are you doing?"

How are you doing? HOW ARE YOU DOING?

The nerve of that boy. Ignores her for three whole days then asks how she's doing! No, that's not how this works, Mr. How-Are-You-Doing.

"I'm fine. Perfect, actually," Isabelle responds, forcing a fake smile onto her face before turning back to her book.

Blaise didn't know what to do. Isabelle had just completely shut him down. Had he done something wrong? Had something happened? Surely it wasn't his absence, Isabelle hardly cared for him. But there was something wrong. Isabelle was not her cheery self. She was almost cold, uncaring, which just didn't fit. This wasn't Isabelle and Blaise wanted to know why. He wanted shy, happy, friendly, sassy Isabelle back. He needed her back.

The problem was, though, he didn't know why she was gone in the first place.

A.N.
sorry this is so short, I've been busy lately but I wanted to update!!! Also I hope you didn't miss the slight furthering of Isabelle's background and her relationship with her bff Hannah-Banana- Queen of Hufflepuff- Queen of Hearts- Abbott. Lol, sorry I love hannah 💛. And as always I hope you enjoyed and thank you for reading! Sending my love💛.