I Will Always Find You

Based off of this song by Peter Crowley, song belongs to Peter Crowley, I own nothing.

Defeat. Hiccup felt a deep sadness erupt through his body as he watched his love get pulled away by her mother into the light. She would be with her now. She would be happy. He kept telling himself that as he watched the life slip away from her.

His mind flashed back to the battle. Astrid fought bravely against the Southern Isles, but she was stabbed in the back by their prince, Hiccup had only seen it in time to catch her, but not to save her.

No. He couldn't let her go now. He felt a great energy surge through him as he darted from reality and towards the light. He couldn't let this happen. Not now. 

"ASTRID!" he screamed, earning his love's attention. Astrid looked back and gasped at the sight in front of her. Her love was willingly running into death to be with her. She felt the tears welling up in her eyes as she saw the wings and halo start to slowly fade in on him. Hiccup finally reached her, and grabbed her hands.

"Hiccup," she breathed. Her mother gave the boy a knowing look and faded into the background.

"Astrid, please, you can't go. You have so much left in you, you can't leave now, please, I love you." he pleaded, his teary green eyes melting Astrid's heart.

Astrid squeezed Hiccup's hands. "Hiccup, I can't go back to the living world, I just can't." she said, a fresh set of tears falling down her face. "They're all so cruel to me, and I know that my mother will always care for me, Hiccup, she came to get me, that must mean something."

Hiccup tried his best not to wail. "A-Astrid," he began shakily. "I love you, ever since our first meeting, I've loved you with all of my heart. You weren't meant to fight this battle, or to die in it, I was, I was the one who should've died, I should've jumped in front of you, then, at least, my heart wouldn't be broken like this, I'd know you were alive and well, I could watch over you, keep you safe, I'm even willing to walk with you right here, right now, just to hold you, to be close to you." he sobbed. He couldn't let go, not now, not ever. 

Astrid closed her eyes and let her tears flow freely. "Hiccup, I love you too. But You can't just give up your life for mine. You're the Prince of Dragons now, well on your way to becoming king, I couldn't just stand by and let you lay down all of that for me. I'm meant go with my mother, Hiccup, and you can't stop me."

Hiccup wailed as he fell down onto his knees, the soft, golden clouds lifting him up to his love. "Astrid, please! I lost my parents in that battle! I can't lose you, too, you're my everything! I can't imagine a world without you! Please, just let me come with you!" he sobbed. "Please..."

Astrid gave Hiccup a hug, then kissed him passionately on the lips. Once she pulled away, she was surprised to see that she and Hiccup now had full golden wings and halos, and were floating above the kingdom of Berk.

"What's going on?" Astrid asked as they began to fly faster.

"You have a choice to make." the voice of Astrid's mother said as she faded into view. "You two are clearly meant to be together, whether you choose to stay in the mortal world, or come with me. Both of you need to choose whether or not you will enter the Beyond or stay below, together."

Hiccup beamed as he looked at Astrid, who was crying tears of happiness. She looked up at her mom with a bright smile on her face. "Can we...?" she asked.

Her mother smiled, her wings and halo shining as bright as the sun. "Of course, I'll see you two eventually."

With a wave of a hand, Hiccup and Astrid were immediately transported back to the castle grounds. Both looked at each other with huge smiles on their faces.

"Marry me." Hiccup demanded.

Astrid laughed as she grabbed her lover by the collar of his coat and kissed him hard.