06|SOMETHING SCARY

Clara wiped off the mud on her boots. Another day, another mission. It was small, one she had done all on her own. It gave the young girl a great amount of pride that she was going on missions on her own, not needing a babysitter or Captain America telling her to stay behind him. They weren't the kind of missions that ended up being broadcasted across the world nor any that would ever put her in serious harm, however, she still kicked some major ass.

She has received a phone call from Ally the day before, and it was the best thing ever. She missed her parental figure more than anything, rarely admitting it to anyone. Clara was completely comfortable in front of Ally, which was why she so easily came clean to Ally about who she was. A weight was lifted off her chest, even though a new one replaced it.

"We got any chips?" she questioned Wanda, the Scarlet Witch, another roommate of Clara's. "I'm starving."

"Back so soon?" Wanada had questioned, her accent thick and strong. "What did Maria have you do this time?"

"Just a bank robbery, nothing much," she shrugged. "Kind of lame."

Wanda laughed, shaking her head. "It's good practice Clara."

"I know," Clara responded, reaching for a bag of chips. "Still boring."

"What's boring?" Valerie questioned, entering the kitchen with her hair slicked back with sweat.

"My mission," Clara replied, knowing Valerie still wasn't allowed out on the field. "Nothing special."

"Right," Valeria raised an eyebrow, taking a bottle of water from the fridge. "Any word from Ally?"

Clara's eyes sparked. "She called me last night."

Wanda grew interested. "What did she say? Is she safe? You better tell Steve or Tony."

"One thing at a time," Clara bit into another chip. "She's fine, somewhere in Europe I think. She didn't say a lot but she said she'd call again soon."

"That's it? That's all she gives us when she's been gone for so long?" Wanda questioned. "Well, at least she's safe."

"She's not going to stop until she finds him," Valerie told them both. "He doesn't want to be found."

"Did you not read your textbook? He's literally the love of her life, I'd go that extra mile for someone I love too," Clara snapped, her face growing red at her sudden burst. "Sorry...sorry, just defending Ally."

"No you're right Clara," Wanda smiled softly. "I'm going to the store, any requests?"

"Protein powder," Valerie requested. "Preferably vanilla."

"You got it She-Hulk," Wanda turned to Clara. "Anything for you?"

"No I'm good."

"Alright ladies, I'll see you later."

When Wanda had left, Clara could've sworn she saw a hint of panic on Valerie's face. It must've been her imagination because Valerie immediately began to walk back to the gym. That's where she was day and night. She was on house arrest, couldn't leave the headquarters until Tony and Maria thought it would be suitable. It almost seemed fair since Valerie was notorious for being the young, rebellious agent that didn't enjoy playing by the rules. But now it seemed odd. Clara never saw Valerie just lounging around or opening up a tub of ice cream. She was always in the gym, punching her fists black and blue.

"Want to watch a movie?"

Valerie stopped and turned to face Clara. "I need to train."

"You always train," she piped up. "Lets watch a movie instead."