EPILOGUE I

The golden-eyed girl hated the heat and itchiness of the hike, the lake she came upon looked like a perfect oasis. The water was entirely without motion, no tide brought it up. Despite the relentless sun rays, the green-tinged water would be cool, this lake would likely be as deep as the mountains around were tall. Ally walked to the edge and sat to remove her boots, but she didn't stop there. She removed the heavy backpack and removed the thin shirt covering the simple black bikini she had on underneath. The cool water moved over her skin like a potion, removing the irritation and replacing it with a meditative peace.

"What if I drown," Clara looked down at the water. "Who saves me if I drown?"

Ally rolled her eyes. "You're not gonna drown."

"You don't know that," Clara sat at the edge of the lake. "What if I jump in and hit my head?"

"So don't jump in head first," Bucky tuned in, taking off his own shoes. "Or drown."

Clara crossed her arms over her chest. "If someone would've told me that this trip to Wakanda would consist of constant teasing, I wouldn't have come."

"Clara you can't be left alone for more than an hour without getting anxious," Ally pointed out. "You could've stayed with Valerie and Steve back in the city."

"Steve was being boring," Clara grumbled, taking off her boots and joining the two in the water. "It was either go hiking or listen to T'Challa and Steve talk about politics."

"Tough choice," Bucky swam out to reach Ally, wrapping his good arm around her. "I would've picked politics."

"You're just mad you can't do the birds and the bees with Ally now that I'm here." Clara stuck her tongue out at Bucky.

"Clara!" Ally scolded, unable to hide her giggle. "You've been hanging around Steve too much, maybe it is good that you're here."

"It's like she's his spawn." Bucky commented.

"Haven't heard that before," Clara stuck her feet in the water. "It's cold."

"That's it," Bucky released Ally from his grip and swam back to the shore. He picked Clara up with his one arm, causing her to laugh and scream. He tossed her into the water, being extra careful not to do it too harshly as he was still worried about his strength regardless of not having his metal arm anymore. "Not so cold anymore?"

Clara bobbed up in the water. "No, not anymore."

The warmth of the real laughter that erupted from Ally's stomach was a different kind of laughter that Clara hadn't heard before. It was peaceful, real. A genuine happiness that many feared she'd never have again.

Going to Wakanda was the safest bet for any of them, now that they were considered fugitives. T'Challa offered the band of misfits his home, knowing now that Bucky was an innocent man who was merely just the outcome of his circumstances. Ally insisted on exploring the beautiful Wakandan country, and Bucky immediately agreed because he never wanted to be separated from her again.

Ally wrapped her fingers around Bucky, pulling him close to her. At last, she could release her past, let it float away into obscurity. Happiness flowed through her, warming her skin like the rays of the summer sun. Her smug grin had exploded into a radiant smile that she had never worn before. Everything was going to be alright now, she had Bucky and he had her. They were a team. They had been since the beginning of time.

"What now?" Clara questioned.

"I'm not sure," Ally hummed. "I guess we go day by day."

"Are we going to stay here?"

"Bucky and I are," Ally told the younger girl. "What you want to do is entirely up to you."

Clara thought for a moment. "I'll go wherever Valerie goes."

Ally smiled. "If she breaks your heart I swear..."

"Relax old lady, I can take care of myself." Clara rolled her eyes.

"I know you can," Ally agreed. "Because you're my sidekick."

"I thought you didn't like that word?" Bucky questioned.

Ally shrugged. "This one grew on me."

"I'll say," Bucky grinned. "She's a mini you."

Clara blushed. "I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me."

"Don't get too used to it," Bucky splashed Clara. "I'm just feeling nice."

"We better head back." Ally sighed, swimming back to shore.

"But the water is so nice," Clara complained. "Just a few more minutes?"

"I'm gonna hit you I swear." Ally threatened playfully.

"You taught me all your tricks, give it your best shot." Clara teased.

"Not all of them."

"Whatever," Clara hopped out of the water and began to hike in the direction they came in. "I don't like the outdoors."

"Don't get lost," Ally called out, pulling her shirt over her head. "God, I love that kid."

The two of them were alone now, standing somewhere that didn't exist to anyone except the people of Wakanda. There was no one, not a single person around except Clara who was halfway down the hike by now. Bucky had dreamt of this moment more times that he'd like to admit. Being with her, the only person he had ever truly loved.

"Do you remember in '38 when we thought it'd be a good idea to go stargazing? You were uh– freshly eighteen I think, because it was a month after your birthday. Steve caught the flu but insisted we go on, poor kid couldn't catch a break. Well, when we laid out the blanket on the ground outside of the city, the first thing you did was name all the constellations, I couldn't keep my eyes off of you. Sure the stars are pretty but the way you talked about them with such passion– I knew I loved you after that," Bucky struggled with the memory, recalling every moment he could. "I wanted a future with you. I wanted to be the father of your children and call you my wife, I know that, I remember that. That's what was supposed to happen but I think it still can."

"Bucky..." Ally breathed out. "What're you trying to say?"

"I think we can still do it, live the life we were supposed to," he looked at her admiringly. "I want you, all of you, in any way. Any way you'll let me...I know I don't deserve it but I love–"

Bucky was interrupted by Ally pressing her lips against his. It was a soft and meaningful kiss, just how it was when they were two teenagers lost at war. "Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes."

A/N: I wanted to give them a happy ending, they deserved it, they always have. This is the first of two epilogue's but the next one will be the final chapter of the Alchemy Jones trilogy. What a rollercoaster...I hope you enjoyed!