14|WAR PAINT

Bucky and Ally leant against two pillars holding up a level of the airport parking lot. It was cold enough for her to notice the seasons beginning change. She held her arms around her torso, hugging herself as they watched the terminal begin to evacuate. It was as if the outside world around them had disappeared and it was just them. His presence was calming, almost soothing. He was here, right beside her. It was something out of a dream.

"I like the kid."

Ally looked up at Bucky, raising her eyebrow. "Oh?"

"She reminds me of Nico," he looked down at his feet. "She's got that charisma."

"She does, doesn't she?" Ally smiled softly. "She's got nerve too."

"It's a good mix," he told her. "You raised her right."

Ally blushed. "I hope so."

There was a comfortable silence. Ally's desperation to find him had been gently put to rest. It was James Barnes in front of her. The boy she met in the alley all those years ago, the boy she rode the ferris wheel with, the man she fell in love with, the man that became her fiancé. They turned towards each other at the same time. A small, childish smile appeared on both of their tired faces. She took a quick step towards him and his arms were around her instantly. She buried her face in his chest. His warmth told her that even now, she could be safe with him. Ally grabbed his shirt and pulled herself closer to him, needing him to know that he won't lose her again. A fire had been rekindled. She never stopped loving him and he never stopped loving her.

"I've been lost for so long," he spoke into her hair. "I just became used to the idea that I'd be stuck in a mind that wasn't mine forever."

"You knew I couldn't ever let that happen James."

"Ally I don't want you fighting this war for me—"

"I'm fighting this war for us," she cut him off. "I'm not losing you again. I'm not letting anyone take you. And I'm definitely not letting some freak get away with what he did to get to you."

"Alright." He knew better than to push, he knew better because he knew his Ally.

She hadn't let go yet, his arms being around her brought her a strong sense of comfort. Ally missed him. There was no longer an undeniable longing feeling in her heart and in her mind she knew the fight wasn't over. For now, she thought, for now she could just hold onto him until something had to happen. He didn't complain, the emotion that poured into their embrace was from years and years of separation.

Ally whispered. "We need to join the others."

"Just a few more seconds," he muttered, the voice belonging to a broken man who had found his glue. "I just need a few more seconds."

"Okay."

They didn't need to say anything. They knew how the other felt. They knew nothing had changed.

The war paint. Ally hated the war paint. The lines of black brimming her eyes reminded her of a time when the Alchemist wasn't such a burden to her. Steve and Ally strode through an underpass together, jogging towards a private runway, headed for a grounded chopper. This was it. This was keeping Bucky safe and stopping Zemo from unleashing something terrible into the world.

An electro disabler slammed into the chopper, causing Ally to fall backwards. Steve looked up, knowing it'd be Tony and Rhodey. Ally stood back onto her feet. "God dammit."

Tony turned towards Rhodey. "Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport. Don't you think that's weird?"

"Definitely weird." Rhodey responded.

"Hear me out, Tony." Steve attempted. "That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this."

T'Challa leapt over a truck. "Captain. Doctor."

Steve tilted his head. "Your highness."

"Anyways. Ross gave me 36 hours to bring you in," Tony explained. "That was 24 hours ago. Can you help a brother out?"

"You're after the wrong guy Tony," Ally cut in. "It wasn't him."

"Your judgment is askew," Tony replied. "Your old war buddy and fiancé or whatever the hell he is, killed innocent people yesterday."

"And there are five more super soldiers just like him. I can't let the doctor find them first, Tony. I can't." Steve kept his ground.

"Steve..." Natasha walked towards them. "You know what's about to happen. Do you really wanna punch your way out of this one?"

"All right, I've run out of patience. Underoos!" Tony yelled out and a mysterious man stole Steve's shield with a web. "Nice job, kid."

"The hell is that?" Ally cursed.

"Thanks. Well, I could've stuck the landing a little better. It's just the new suit... Well, it's nothing, Mr. Stark. It's-It's perfect. Thank you."

"Yeah, we don't really need to start a conversation." Tony grumbled.

"Okay. Cap... Captain. Big fan, I'm Spider-Man," the kid turned to Ally. "Really cool that you didn't die by the way."

"You've been busy." Steve shook his head.

"And you've been a complete idiot," Tony snapped. "Dragging in Clint. 'Rescuing' Wanda from a place she doesn't even want to leave, a safe place. I'm trying to keep... I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart."

"You did that when you signed."

"That's rich coming from you Stark," Ally retorted. "Take a look at this mess. This is because you won't listen to your TEAM."

"Alright, We're done. You're gonna turn Barnes over, you're gonna come with us. NOW! Because it's us! Or a squad of J-SOC guys... with no compunction about being impolite," Tony watched as Steve looked aside. "Come on."

Ally watched as Steve fought with his conflicting emotions. It wasn't a matter of right and wrong anymore. It was about what had to be done. She knew that better than anyone. Everyone on Captain America's side knew what they were giving up. In a turn of events, Ally knew what she was gaining by fighting this war. This was all for Bucky, Clara and Steve. This was for her family.

"That's rich coming from you Stark," Ally retorted

"That's rich coming from you Stark," Ally retorted. "Take a look at this mess. This is because you won't listen to your TEAM."