Chapter 15: Everything is explained

Before Julian could speak, the man was on the move, dragging his dog behind him. The poor animal yelped as the collar tightened around his throat and Anne yelped too. With Julian close behind, Bufflo dove into his caravan and Julian promptly put himself between the fast-closing door and the door frame. What a sight met his eyes!

Covering most of the far wall was a stack of cages - plastic ones - each housing a decidedly bedraggled-looking canine. The stench was vile. Skippy was sweeping the floor of the caravan as Bufflo burst in and froze, almost comically, with horror.

"You clear out!" she said, slurring her words so that they (combined with her London accent) were not very clear. When Julian didn't move, dumbstruck, she came towards him, brandishing her broom. Julian deftly sidestepped and entered the caravan. The dog that Bufflo had been walking was now being stuffed into one of the cages with a whimper. As Julian backed away from Skippy, who was approaching him with the broom raised, he walked into something. He turned around, to see that it was Mrs Alfredo! She glared up at him.

"You heard Skippy," she purred "so clear off!"

"Really, Bufflo?" Julian spluttered "Dog trading?"

Bufflo said nothing but looked uneasy.

"The last person I'd expect to be in this trade would be you! Come on, then." Julian said "Explain to me how it works."

"We keep the dogs until someone can fetch them and take them to be sold. All right? Happy?" Bufflo explained, with considerable aggression in the last three words.

"No, Bufflo. I'm not happy. Where do I start? The conditions, for a start! The RSPCA would have a field day here."

Whether it was the unfortunate pun or the mention of the (in Julian's loud and sometimes misguided opinion) useless animal service, Julian did not know. But the next thing he registered was a feral-sounding howl and a Timothy-sized Border Collie hurling itself at Julian. Julian faceplanted the floor with a thud and shouted with anger as the dog snapped at any part of him that it could reach. (Yes, including where the sun isn't meant to shine, if I may be so delicate.)

The door to the caravan flew open and Timothy rushed in. Although marginally smaller than the attacking dog, he threw himself into Julian's rescue mission with abandon. George followed him in, waving his empty leash like a whip. With a sickening crack, the lead was gone from George's hands, with the power of Bufflo's whip leaving her momentarily immobilised with the rope burn. Timothy pinned the other dog to the floor and as Julian staggered to his feet, the shouts and barks died down.

"Well, what an interesting evening I've had with you." Julian said "I rather think-"

There was a knock at the caravan door.

"Bufflo? 'Nita? Skippy? It's 'Fredo and Jo!" whispered a man. Timothy barked joyously once, then noticed his mistress' abhorred look and continued growling. He looked up at his mistress once more. As the caravan door opened, George shouted two solitary words.

"TIMOTHY, ATTACK!"

Although this had never been a practised command, Timothy understood well enough. With a howl similar to the now-shivering Collie's, Timothy used his teeth to get a good grip on the belt of the guest. Jo followed him in, only hearing everyone else's agonised or gleeful yells when it was too late. Julian blocked the door and gave George a secret high-five.

"As I was saying, ladies and gents, it's been a very interesting evening." Julian said, folding his arms. "And there's someone else to see you, I do believe."

He opened the door and there on the grass outside, cars parked all over the show, were the boys in blue themselves.