Chapter I

/1/*******/1/
Something about weekends are simply bittersweet. On one hand there is that joy of leaving school earlier on Fridays is so welcoming. Sleeping in is guaranteed for two days straight.

The joy!

But then you remember, it only means spending a whole 48hrs and some from your friends!

Compares less to the weight that dawns on a Sunday night when you realise your sleep-ins for the next five days would be on hiatus.

Let's just say I'm glad it is finally weekend because this particular week has been extra stressful than usual.

It is no easy feat for a teen to wake up before dawn just to catch the school bus, return home just before dark. And that too dealing with a ton of assignments.

To top it off, that psycho of a bus driver!

Grumpy old man has no qualms leaving behind anyone who's 5minutes late. Sometimes he doesn't even wait at all!

"The log of 7 divided by log of 28 equals log in brackets log 10..."

Assignments, the usual fights, pesky boys teasing their crushes. Not dissapointing the age-long rituals.

The petty gossiping and teenage raging hormones. Other than that, every other thing is...well school.

And this anno...

" Stay and play afterwards?!"

Speak of crushes. One name?

Ali.

Ali Ahmad Ahmad.

My Allah!

If ever I saw a sepia so light!

Ice, icy light. How to describe it.... it's...it is staring into a snow frozen sea but instead of blue or a calm green, it's looking at an icy brown globe.

The concentrated hopeful stare remain resolute, even the brush of wayward locks could not break.

A friend hinted the obvious, his parent's origins.

As similarly polar the sun and the moon relate, our paths conform.

His overzealousness overrides my complete knack for sobriety, topics I adore, mere necessities to him. When I'd rather have a rainy day to snuggle in the surrounding comfort of outside chaos, am pretty sure the desire to miss any of the games he could be getting in trouble for does not appeal him.

To sum all, jealousy does not even do justice to how unfair I think a boy should have all that hair!

When he first came here he couldn't fit cuz he stuck out...the odd straw.

That changed fast...he became a menace, pulling hijabs left and right and leading all sorts of mischievous adventures.

Looking at his annoyingly cute face I wonder how such an angelic looking creature could be so devilish. Ugh at least he always shoulders the blame whenever his posse get caught.

But I hate when am forced to bear the brunt of his attention which is becoming a regular.

"I have to go".

And I most especially do not like it when he will cork his head and give me that look.

"How come you always leave and not stay like the others?"

"You've been here for a while you should know by now what the bus driver is like".

It is not right that his frowning face is still beautiful.