Chapter 1

The sky was bright pink, as if blushing on the boy. He lifted his head from the crisp, clear water and arched his chin toward the sky. Most days, the sky settled on a vibrant orange, or a soft yellow. Maybe a tint of red. However today, it was the colors of rosy pinks and bruised purples. "Achilles," said a boy behind him. Achilles was waiting for the boy to meet him on the shore. He could remember when they first met. He recalled asking his name, in which he faintly replied Patroclus. His inseparable companion. The boy was shy, blushing, and carried himself as though furiously intimidated. It made him laugh to think, even at the age of thirteen, he was still the same.

"What is it, Patroclus?" The heavy green in Achilles eyes had always drawn Patroclus in. "How about a race before King Peleus calls us for bed?" Achilles nodded and moved swiftly to stand up, feet pushing into the ground. The skin on his feet left soft, unlike Patroclus', whose were bruised callused. Achilles smirked and took off, running swiftly across the tender golden sand. The waves did not dare to touch the prince's feet, and Patroclus was far behind. Even though he showed no worth to be a companion, Achilles convinced his father that he was the best choice. King Peleus took a liking to the boy, however Thetis was more than displeased with the mortal. Thetis, a sea nymph, a goddess, wanted her thirteen-year-old son to become a full god. However, Achilles never took liking in it.

Achilles stopped and watched his companion run to him, sweat staining his tunic. His mother told him time and time again that it was wrong to have such a companion, but no matter how times she told him this, Achilles treated Patroclus with care and tenderness. Patroclus stopped running when returning to Achilles' side. He was not mad that he lost. How could he be? Losing to someone with such grace, he might lose forever and still be happy. He swung an arm around the prince, needing to touch him. He was panting from the running and the humidity, or maybe it was the prince who took his breath away? Either one, he dismissed those thoughts and removed his lanky arm from the boy's shoulder. 

The two made their way through the winding and elegant halls of the kingdom and stopped at a large room, where they both slept. When Patroclus came here after being exiled, he slept with the rest of the boys who were taken in. Now that King Peleus agreed to the boy being the prince's companion, he slept in the same room with him, that being the prince's request. 

Achilles prepared for bed, as did Patroclus, as the dark sky settled in. Stars hung over their heads, shining brightly, and Achilles was glad not to be lonely underneath them. He hummed a simple tune he learned on the lyre. One that his teacher taught him. Patroclus loved when he sang. He voice was beautiful, complementing everything else about him. His curly blonde hair, his deep green eyes, his full lips, and soft skin. He seemed so godly, but at the same time, normal. Coming from Thetis and King Peleus, he was born half a god and half a mortal, and Achilles did like being both. Achilles jumped on the mattress, as did Patroclus. Achilles' nose touch Patroclus' and he whispered a quiet "Goodnight." And they both fell asleep quickly, the goodnight still on the tongue of the young Achilles.

In the morning, Achilles rose to the sun rising on the shore. He sat still, afraid to wake the sleeping boy up. Then, confidently, he shook the boy and smiled. "Goodmorning." Patroclus said opening his eyes. "Goodmorning." Achilles responded without missing a single beat. The sun brightened the room and Achilles could see Patroclus' face more clearly. Brown hair, full lips, and occasional bumps on the skin. Blemishes, they call them. They were still, looking at each other, before hearing the call for breakfast. Smells of freshly baked bread and honey filled the hallway and before they knew it, they were approaching the dining hall. Voices of boys filled the room as they made their way to two empty chairs. Patroclus awkwardly sat in his chair, next to the graceful Achilles. He spread honey on the warm bread, being careful not to get any on him, for it would stick to him for the rest of the day. Boys raced to our table to sit next to the prince. One was lucky to hold a conversation with him, though he made sure to give most people time. Everyone was quite eager to be close with him.

"Patroclus, will you walk me to the shore after breakfast?" Achilles turned to face him and asked warmly. "Of course." He said in reply. Many of the boys were jealous of their growing friendship. Sometimes, it was rumored to be more. However, the boys dismissed the small rumors. They did prefer to be alone, though. A third company was too much for the both of them, however Patroclus had become more close with the King. Often time, both of them were to listen to the stories he told of great heroes and legends. 

Achilles was to meet his father in the morning after his meal, and would always take Patroclus with him. "My son," He said sternly, gesturing for him to come kneel before him. He looked down upon him, strictly. "You will have your lesson in the evening. Until then, you are free." He did not wish to be bothered in the morning, so Achilles always said, "Yes, Father." I was stood in the large doorway silently until Achilles joined me in walking to the shore.

It was summer. Skies, a lively blue. Never many clouds, but today there were. The boys lay their backs to the warm sand and point to the sky, trying to find shapes in them. After a while, Patroclus' gaze shifted toward's Achilles. Achilles gazed back at him, studying his fully mortal features. Sometimes, he wished he had the bumps on his skin. He thought it would make him less god-like. Achilles did not care for the idea of being a god, but he knew that he had to be. It was a choice of hero, or god. He did not care for either. He'd rather just be youthful, and with Patroclus by his side, he figured he would be happy no matter what he was.