Chapter 5

Patroclus was bundled up in his sheets, scared to seem awake. The lump in his throat could not be swallowed down. Could a boy like another boy? Could a nobody like a prince? It could not be certain to him. Though when they had kissed, Patroclus, for a second, was happy. Now, he was just so confused.

Patroclus was only a coward, unlike Achilles. However, in this situation, Achilles could not be brave. Panic hit when Achilles woke to see the sun. He fell quick to sleep, exhausted from sobbing into his pillow. His eyes stung and his throat left dry. He slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes. Patroclus sat up too as he heard Achilles' sheets ruffle. "You're eyes are red, Achilles." Patroclus said concerned. Achilles nodded. "Are you alright?" Achilles shrugged his shoulders and Patroclus nodded slightly understanding. He walked over to his bed slowly. "Are you confused?" He asked the prince. He could not lie. He was. "I am too." Patroclus said taking his hand carefully. There was no way to express what they had wanted. "My mother is mad." Achilles said fearfully. He did not want Patroclus to run away from him because of his disapproving mother. "I understand why. Do you think she is right?" Patroclus asked Achilles hesitantly. "No, I would never." He replied quietly. The prince leaned in close, breathing softly on his companion's lips. "Could we?" Patroclus nodded slightly and filled the gap, lips upon lips. Achilles had tasted like honey. Achilles felt as if he were drowning in Patroclus' lips. Slowly they pulled apart. It was like the palace walls had disappeared, and it was only them. "So you aren't going to run away this time?" Patroclus joked. "Why would I want to?" Patroclus had his fingers tangled in Achilles hair, trying to slow his breathing. In and out. In and out. He tried his best to keep it under control. "Do you regret it? The kiss?" Achilles asked fearfully. "I do not, do you?" "I do not regret it either."

The sun hit Achilles, making his hair glow and skin look even more radiant. "You should not cry over me." Patroclus said, kissing the prince's cheek. Achilles blushed, knowing he would be guilty of it. Especially if he lost Patroclus. "We do not have to say a word about it, if you do not want. It can be secret?" He reassured the Prince. Achilles nodded. He knew how people would take it. "We would probably be killed." Most people were killed for liking the same gender. Even though Pthia was less mean and more free from savagery, they could not risk it. The world was full to the brim with judgments, each one thicker than water.

When breakfast came, the two sat in their regular seats next to each other. When the other boys awoke, they were once again confused by the prince and his companion. Murmurs flew through the room swiftly, but Achilles and Patroclus had not cared, for they were blinded by each other. Under the table, Achilles foot pressed against Patroclus' as Patroclus laughed pressing back. Boys who had raced to sit by Achilles were puzzled at their laughter, and were thinking no one had said anything funny, but love makes you giddy.

Later in the day, they sat on the warm sand, swallowed in heat. Patroclus' head rest in Achilles lap. He felt the touch of fingers swimming through his hair and at last they were barely confused. However, only one thing had been on their minds. "How will we keep this a secret?" Achilles asked, pouting. "I do not know, but we will have to. People will think you are a disgrace. I've been there before." Achilles nodded knowingly.

Patroclus had been an exile taken in by Peleus for accidently killing a kid at age five. Most of the time, it haunted him. The cracking sound of the kids skull, the blood, the young face. He would wake up shaking and trembling and sometimes Achilles would wake up to see the tears in his eyes, yet not knowing how to comfort him. "It will be alright. We can figure it out." Patroclus said to Achilles, smiling peacefully. Little did they know of the long ride ahead of them.