Chapter 3

They​ ​had​ ​been​ ​sitting​ ​amongst​ ​the​ ​water,​ ​silently.​ ​The​ ​smell​ ​of​ ​the​ ​salty​ ​waves​ ​was inescapable.​ ​Ever​ ​since​ ​he​ ​was​ ​little,​ ​Patroclus​ ​didn't​ ​mind​ ​it.​ ​The​ ​strong​ ​smell​ ​had​ ​left​ ​a​ ​bit​ ​of an​ ​impact​ ​on​ ​the​ ​prince,​ ​Achilles,​ ​yet​ ​the​ ​price​ ​had​ ​his​ ​own​ ​smell​ ​apart​ ​from​ ​the​ ​sea.​ ​It​ ​was​ ​sort of​ ​like​ ​honey.​ ​It​ ​was​ ​mid-day,​ ​a​ ​vivid​ ​blue​ ​hung​ ​in​ ​the​ ​sky​ ​and​ ​the​ ​heat,​ ​unbearable,​ ​almost tugging​ ​at​ ​their​ ​skin.​ ​Usually​ ​the​ ​heat​ ​would​ ​make​ ​Patroclus'​ ​face​ ​a​ ​rosy​ ​color,​ ​but​ ​more​ ​so​ ​it was​ ​Achilles'​ ​doing.  

Achilles​ ​deep​ ​green​ ​eyes​ ​pulled​ ​patroclus​ ​in.​ ​There,​ ​amongst​ ​the​ ​water,​ ​they​ ​were​ ​almost afraid.​ ​Afraid​ ​of​ ​what​ ​this​ ​might​ ​become​ ​between​ ​them,​ ​yet​ ​they​ ​did​ ​not​ ​know​ ​what​ ​it​ ​was. Surely,​ ​Thetis​ ​would​ ​be​ ​outraged.​ ​Her​ ​pale​ ​skin​ ​and​ ​dark​ ​eyes​ ​could​ ​stop​ ​everything​ ​in​ ​it's tracks.​ ​However,​ ​her​ ​eyes​ ​were​ ​nothing​ ​like​ ​the​ ​sweetness​ ​of​ ​the​ ​prince's.​ ​Oh​ ​how​ ​Patroclus wished​ ​he​ ​could​ ​melt​ ​staring​ ​into​ ​them.​ ​However,​ ​this​ ​was​ ​not​ ​allowed.​ ​He​ ​was​ ​only​ ​the​ ​prince's loyal​ ​companion-​ ​a​ ​worthless​ ​one​ ​that​ ​is. 

"Achilles,​ ​why​ ​did​ ​you​ ​pick​ ​me​ ​as​ ​your​ ​companion?​ ​I​ ​am​ ​truly​ ​not​ ​worthy​ ​and​ ​most​ ​definitely​ ​not special."​ ​Patroclus​ ​asked​ ​curiously.​ ​It​ ​was​ ​a​ ​question​ ​that​ ​had​ ​been​ ​on​ ​his​ ​mind​ ​for​ ​ages. "Would​ ​I​ ​be​ ​happy​ ​with​ ​another​ ​companion?​ ​You​ ​are​ ​the​ ​only​ ​companion​ ​I​ ​want,​ ​and​ ​to​ ​me​ ​you are​ ​worth​ ​too​ ​much."​ ​A​ ​slight​ ​smile​ ​crept​ ​on​ ​his​ ​face​ ​as​ ​he​ ​said​ ​this,​ ​and​ ​Patroclus​ ​became flustered​ ​and​ ​pink.​ ​"But​ ​are​ ​you​ ​sure?"​ ​"I​ ​can​ ​only​ ​be​ ​so.."​ ​With​ ​that,​ ​their​ ​eyes​ ​broke​ ​from​ ​each other's.​ ​An​ ​awkward​ ​cough​ ​from​ ​Patroclus​ ​hung​ ​in​ ​the​ ​air.​ ​Fear​ ​was​ ​thick​ ​in​ ​the​ ​air,​ ​thicker​ ​than the​ ​unbearable​ ​humidity.​ ​Patroclus​ ​had​ ​thought,​ ​​His​ ​mother​ ​would​ ​kill​ ​me​ ​dead​ ​if​ ​I​ ​lay​ ​even​ ​a finger​ ​on​ ​him​. 

Achilles​ ​brought​ ​it​ ​among​ ​him​ ​to​ ​do​ ​so,​ ​trailing​ ​his​ ​finger​ ​upon​ ​Patroclus'​ ​fingers​ ​and​ ​lifting​ ​them slightly.​ ​"Even​ ​if​ ​my​ ​mother​ ​does​ ​not​ ​think​ ​you​ ​are​ ​fit,​ ​or​ ​anyone​ ​else​ ​in​ ​the​ ​kingdom,​ ​to​ ​me​ ​you are​ ​wonderful."​ ​Achilles​ ​said​ ​looking​ ​at​ ​Patroclus'​ ​hand​ ​almost​ ​in​ ​his.​ ​"You​ ​make​ ​me​ ​happy​ ​and you​ ​are​ ​always​ ​so​ ​fun.​ ​You​ ​let​ ​me​ ​be​ ​me,​ ​not​ ​the​ ​legend​ ​or​ ​the​ ​god,​ ​but​ ​just​ ​me,​ ​Achilles." Patroclus​ ​grabbed​ ​Achilles​ ​hand,​ ​fearfully.​ ​They​ ​could​ ​almost​ ​hear​ ​their​ ​hearts​ ​in​ ​each​ ​other's chests​ ​speeding​ ​up.​ ​They​ ​were​ ​like​ ​drums​ ​in​ ​their​ ​ears.​ ​"Do​ ​you​ ​think​ ​you​ ​are​ ​a​ ​good​ ​fit?" Achilles​ ​asked.​ ​"I​ ​am​ ​not​ ​sure,​ ​but​ ​I-I​ ​do​ ​want​ ​to​ ​stay​ ​with​ ​you.."​ ​Achilles​ ​lifted​ ​his​ ​companion's chin​ ​carefully​ ​with​ ​his​ ​gentle​ ​hands​ ​and​ ​looked​ ​in​ ​his​ ​eyes.​ ​"You​ ​cannot​ ​be​ ​down​ ​on​ ​yourself.​ ​I will​ ​not​ ​allow​ ​you​ ​to​ ​be."​ ​Achilles​ ​whispered​ ​close​ ​to​ ​the​ ​boys​ ​face​ ​and​ ​then​ ​he​ ​broke​ ​from​ ​it. 

Standing​ ​up,​ ​he​ ​did​ ​not​ ​call​ ​for​ ​Patroclus to follow,​ ​but​ ​he​ ​walked​ ​softly​ ​away​ ​from​ ​Patroclus'​ ​view alone.  

Patroclus​ ​sat​ ​there​ ​awhile​ ​on​ ​the​ ​sand​ ​until​ ​the​ ​sun​ ​had​ ​set​ ​on​ ​the​ ​dull​ ​grayish​ ​waves.​ ​All​ ​of​ ​a​ ​sudden there​ ​was​ ​no​ ​sound​ ​at​ ​all.​ ​The​ ​air​ ​in​ ​Patroclus'​ ​lungs​ ​had​ ​been​ ​lesser.​ ​​Could​ ​this​ ​be​ ​Thetis? "You​ ​are​ ​Patroclus?"​ ​A​ ​cold​ ​voice​ ​asked,​ ​loud​ ​and​ ​bold,​ ​appearing​ ​out​ ​of​ ​nowhere.​ ​Patroclus answered​ ​rather​ ​weakly,​ ​"Yes,​ ​I​ ​am."​ ​She​ ​made​ ​a​ ​sound​ ​almost​ ​like​ ​a​ ​hissing​ ​noise.​ ​"What makes​ ​you​ ​think​ ​you​ ​can​ ​be​ ​near​ ​my​ ​son?​ ​You​ ​are​ ​but​ ​a​ ​puny​ ​mortal.​ ​You​ ​are​ ​turning​ ​him​ ​soft, when​ ​he​ ​should​ ​be​ ​mighty!"​ ​Her​ ​voice​ ​roared​ ​and​ ​made​ ​Patroclus​ ​tremble.​ ​"You​ ​will​ ​not disgrace​ ​my​ ​son!​ ​What​ ​it​ ​is​ ​between​ ​you​ ​and​ ​him​ ​will​ ​never​ ​be​ ​allowed!​ ​I​ ​make​ ​myself​ ​clear,​ ​do​ ​I not?"​ ​After​ ​a​ ​while,​ ​the​ ​weak​ ​boy​ ​replied,​ ​"Yes."​ ​And​ ​with​ ​that,​ ​Thetis​ ​was​ ​gone.​ ​The​ ​boy​ ​gasped for​ ​air,​ ​as​ ​if​ ​it​ ​were​ ​limited​ ​and​ ​the​ ​waves​ ​were​ ​heard​ ​again.​ ​

Patroclus​ ​now​ ​opened​ ​his​ ​eyes slowly,​ ​afraid​ ​he​ ​was​ ​a​ ​dead​ ​man. As​ ​Patroclus​ ​walked​ ​into​ ​the​ ​bedroom,​ ​he​ ​saw​ ​Achilles​ ​sound​ ​asleep.​ ​He​ ​did​ ​not​ ​want​ ​to​ ​disturb him,​ ​but​ ​he​ ​wanted​ ​to​ ​say​ ​a​ ​quick​ ​goodnight.​ ​He​ ​leaned​ ​over​ ​the​ ​bed,​ ​and​ ​pressed​ ​his​ ​forehead to​ ​the​ ​boy's.​ ​"Goodnight."​ ​Achilles​ ​opened​ ​his​ ​eyes​ ​slightly.​ ​"Patroclus​ ​you​ ​are​ ​shaking?​ ​What​ ​is wrong?"​ ​He​ ​only​ ​nodded​ ​his​ ​head​ ​no.​ ​"It​ ​was​ ​my​ ​mother,​ ​was​ ​it​ ​not?"​ ​"Yes.​ ​I​ ​am​ ​okay​ ​though, do​ ​not​ ​worry."​ ​He​ ​gave​ ​Achilles​ ​a​ ​small​ ​smile​ ​before​ ​collapsing​ ​on​ ​his​ ​cot,​ ​praying​ ​that​ ​he​ ​would get​ ​some​ ​sleep.​ ​He​ ​was​ ​only​ ​shaking​ ​in​ ​fear​ ​until​ ​the​ ​sun​ ​raised​ ​and​ ​filled​ ​the​ ​room​ ​with​ ​light. As​ ​Achilles​ ​woke,​ ​he​ ​had​ ​spoke​ ​softly,​ ​"I​ ​am​ ​sorry​ ​for​ ​her."