Chapter 4

In the morning, Achilles had headed towards the water to meet with his mother while Patroclus sat in their room bored. When it had seemed like hours, Achilles hadn't returned through the window. Around this time, he would climb through and light up the whole room, but today the room seemed dull without him. Hours had passed until Patroclus was called for breakfast.

Much to his surprise, the Prince was there. Even though Patroclus was excited to see him, Patroclus' face only grew confused as he noticed Achilles had not been sitting where he always did, next to him. When Achilles saw Patroclus, his eyes filled with longing, but then turned into a dull, dry look. Patroclus took a seat in his regular seat, keeping his distance. When Achilles left breakfast, he did not ask Patroclus to come with him. Instead, he just walked past him with his head down. 'What was his issue?', Patroclus had thought. Boys around him had whispered and gossiped. 'Did I do something?'

Patroclus sat in their room, bored without the prince there to laugh with him. He spent hours contemplating until getting up nervously to find Achilles. "Achilles!" He shouted through the halls of the kingdom. "Where are you?" He searched the dining room and the small rooms where he was taught, but could not find him. Patroclus had looked just about everywhere, until finding Achilles in the garden outside the kingdom. The flowers' intense color and beauty had no match for the handsome Prince. "Achilles?" He turned around and looked into his companions dark brown eyes that were staring back at him full of tears. "Patroclus.." "What are you doing out here and why have you been so distant with me? I don't understand!" Patroclus was frustrated, pulling at his hair and almost in tears. Achilles stood, walking over to his companion. "I can explain Patroclus..." Achilles started, not wanting to see him hurting. "What did I do? Did I do something wrong? Did you decide to get rid of me and my companionship-" Achilles launched himself to Patroclus, holding him close. His lips smashed onto Patroclus', and for a moment they both felt free at last. However, Achilles pulled back, terrified at his actions. His eyes wide, tugging at his hair and took off running into the distance.

Achilles had run to the farthest end of the shore, the hot sand burning his feet. "Achilles!" Thetis hissed. She stood in front of him, her dark hair raising in anger. Her eyes stared down disappointingly. "Why have you disappointed me so?!" Her voice was loud and clear. Achilles eyes filled with tears. "I-I am sorry for disappointing you mother... Do not be angry at me, please..." "Achilles I warned you! Look at what have you become!" "Mother I did not want to disgrace you, but I cannot pretend anymore!" Achilles fought. "You will have to! I cannot have a son liking a boy, yet alone a mortal! Were you even thinking?" Thetis shouted. "But mother, I like him! I cannot hide that anymore and now he knows!" Achilles shouted back, angry with his mother. "Do not let anyone see who you have become!" Thetis made this final, and Achilles understood as thetis disappeared into the sea.

As Achilles walked into his room, he noticed Patroclus curled in a ball under his bed sheets. Achilles had a lump in his throat and tears in his eyes. He could not help but sob. He muffled his sobs in his pillow so that Patroclus could not hear. His mother tried to tear them apart, but Achilles would not let it happen. He would make sure of it.