Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Charlie

    Did you get scared off yet? No? Well that's surprising. That's life in this town for you, I know, it's fantastic. The school really isn't all that bad though remarkably, well sometimes. There are some good aspects, everyone around here is extremely nice, like nice nice, to the point it's almost eerie. The students here just do their own thing, there really aren't strict rules to follow during lunch, you just eat wherever and do whatever, as long as you're back in time for your next class.

    "I can't stand him anymore Ian!" I told him as I met up with him at our usual spot. Lunch was finally here. To add on to the repetition, everyday him and I always sit in this one tree in the back corner of the school yard. "I honestly don't know what to do anymore!"

    "Another confrontation with Cambell I take it." Ian said, taking his usual seat in our tree.

    I started climbing after him. "You honestly have no idea." Silence came upon us as we pulled out our lunches. "I honestly don't know why it's so hard for him to actually do his job, I mean seriously, what could possibly be so important that he has to ditch class almost everyday? If you have any answers by all means please give 'em up, I seriously am getting sick of this."

    "Maybe he has a busy schedule out of school that's interfering with his job..." He claimed, quickly stuffing food in his mouth.

    "Um, right~....anyways, if he's really that busy of a person then he shouldn't even have a job, especially one this complex." I said in between bites of my pear.

    "Yeah, but what if he has a job or something like that, besides working here that is." He said, still packing his face with food. I shot him a look filled with anger, but mainly disbelief.

    "Why are you trying to defend him?"

    "W-what?....No no! I'm not!-" Ian sighed. "Look, I wasn't sure whether or not I wanted to say anything-"

    I slammed my leg against the board we were sitting, ow. "What are you keeping from me?" I realized then how hard I actually hit it, considering the fact that it made the blonde girl sitting at the table maybe ten feet away nearly jump out of her skin. "You shouldn't feel the need to hide things from me. If want to say something just say it, don't tell yourself you can't."

    Ian, visibly pale like he'd just woken from his grave, slowly said, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you before, but I think I know why Professor Cambell is consistently missing class."

"Oh, so you did have an answer to my problems!" I stuck my tongue out at him as he silently laughed.

"Well, last night I was doing the usual, walking the dog around the town-" He paused, looking as if he was reliving a childhood nightmare. "When I came around the corner between Professor Ivory's and Benny's house, I saw Professor Cambell.....he was looking in every direction imaginable, but surprisingly he didn't see me. When he thought the coast was clear, he put on this weird black hood thing, as if he was about to rob someone." He stared off into the distance, letting that sentence linger a bit before he looked at me with nervous eyes. "What do you think he was doing?"

"I'm, uh, not really sure...do you think he wa-" My chest felt twisted as if someone was squeezing the life out of my heart as I notice that blonde girl was staring. "We should finish this conversation tonight."

"Yeah, that's a perfect idea." It seems like Ian had also noticed the stalker in front of us. "Want to go to our usual meeting place, after school that is? I mean you have to admit, donuts sound amazing right about now."

"Best thing you've said all day." Unsure as to how to react to his news, I leaned against the tree. Professor Cambell was definitely hiding something, not sure what, but nothing's going to stop me from finding out the truth.