Chapter 17

Chapter Seventeen

Charlie

    "Where are the coordinates?" Sabrina quickly said, snapping me out of my concentration.

"In my bag, why? Do you think that's what it meant?" She took a deep breath, almost nervously. "Hey, what's up?"

"You have to believe me when I tell you this okay? I need you to believe me," She said, grabbing my arms.

"Okay okay, what's wrong?"

"When you were doing...whatever it was you were doing, random words appeared on the paper and just as they did, they were gone." I will never forget the look in her eyes when she opened up to me, like she was begging for her life.

"They what...?" I said, unable to process the words that just came out of her mouth. "What'd they say?"

"It said to go to the coordinates, you know, 'where it all began'. You have to believe me!" She applied a slight pressure to my arms, almost as if she was at the edge of a cliff and I was the only thing that was keeping her from falling.

"Look, I believe you," She began to ease a bit, relieved by the words that had been leaving my lips. "If that's where it's telling us to go, then why are we still standing here?"

She flew back to the sidewalk when I said that, her nearly dragging me as she did. We had returned to the center of town. Sabrina pouted when I refused to go back to the shop, even though her stomach was clearly bugging her from the first batch as she had been holding it nearly the entire walk. A sharp pain commenced in my calf as our never ending walk continued.

"Alright," I said, pulling out the map. "According to the map, it should be right cross the street."

She paused as I had put one foot in the cobble road. "Charlie, is it bad that I'm really nervous?"

"Nah, don't be. We just have to find the key and it'll all be over."

"Yeah, but we don't know what's in there. What if Professor Cambell's in there?"

"Technically he isn't our professor anymore," I winked as she rolled her eyes at me. "So what if he is? That'd mean Ian is there." I stared at the stone house. It was almost as if we were in a movie, two teenagers about to break into an older looking house that looks like it could be haunted. "This house is really creepy..."

"Took the words right out of my mouth. How about I stand here to keep watch and you go in and grab the key."

I honestly couldn't tell if she was joking. "Yeah no. Besides, the person who's left behind is usually the first to die." I laughed.

"Not funny!"

We had finally gained enough courage to go up to the gray house, stopping in front of a bush.

"Alright, so here's the plan," I crouched, hoping no one could see us. "Let's sneak around the side and try to go in through the storm cellar, sound good?"

"No! That's where people are murdered in movies!" Sabrina looked petrified as she locked eyes with me. "There's always one person who thinks it's a good idea to go into the basement, not happening."

"Have a better idea?"

"Any idea is better than that one!"

"Fine, we sneak around and go through the back door."

"That's somewhat better, still feel like we are about to get murdered."

Rounding the corner, we had ambled to the back of the house as if we were mice.

"See? This isn't so bad," I nudged her. "We're almost there."

Right on cue, our expedition was instantaneously cut short when the ground beneath us was nonexistent. Everything had happened so fast I almost didn't realize was just occurred until it did. All I honestly remember of that moment was slamming into the cement floor as everything darkened.

Almost like we had just fallen into our own graves.