Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Sabrina

I couldn't believe my eyes. They keyhole was pushed into the tree right after the key popped out back into Charlie's hand and a piece of bark slid open like a sliding porch door and revealed a staircase. Charlie and I exchanged confused looks and I scanned the area hoping the coast was clear.

    It was.

    Hesitantly, but bravely, Charlie began trailing down the staircase without a word and left me at the top.

    "Charlie?" I whispered, shaking uncontrollably.

    No reply.

    "Charlie?" I whispered again, but a bit louder, "Charlie!"

    I felt the chill cover my body again and I knew what was coming. I turned to my left as if I was told to and saw the blur again. This time, even more clear than the last. I could make out a face, a friendly face..or was it sinister? I couldn't tell.

    I wanted to run to it, no, I wanted to run. What did I want to do?

    Right in that moment the blur disappeared and reappeared closer to me. I could easily see a blue ghosted hand reaching out for me, coming closer, whispering something I couldn't understand. I reached out my hand to touch it.

    So close.

    So close.

    Until.

    "Sabrina?" Charlie asked as if in concern.

    The blur disappeared quickly and my hand dropped as I swung my head to face her. She was at the top of the stairs staring at me as if she was relieved.

    "You have no idea how happy that made me." She said as she put her hand to her heart, catching her breath.

    "What do you mean?" I asked, feeling embarrassed.

    "I see it too."