13 - Pete

Fuck. The quickest of glances and I'm lost to him. I seriously need a reality check.

I seriously need to kill Brendon.

Not literally. I don't need to kill Brendon. I want to, but I won't, because I am not a homicidal lunatic.

"Hey Pete," Dallon chimes as he darts by.

I nod in response.

Wait. Dallon. Shit.

I turn and catch his shoulder with my hand. "Dallon, where are you going?"

He flinches at my touch, but he doesn't run for his life in a panic. "Is Patrick ok?"

"He's fine. Where's Brendon?"

"In our room. He told me to meet him in the-"

"Go to my room and stay there."

"What-?"

"Just go."

He takes a few moments of thought before he finally complies. "...alright."

Conveniently, Brendon steps foot out of his room the moment I reach the door. He pretends to be surprised by my sudden appearance, and jumps. "Peter. You scared me. What's the problem?"

I scowl and jostle him and he stumbles back into the room. "You're the fucking problem."

"Now," he utters, hands up in mock defence. "Let's not get overzealous here."

"You think I'm overzealous?" I snap. "Last time I checked, you were obsessed."

"You don't know me."

"You're lying. And I know the doctors are keeping it to themselves, too."

"Well, last time I checked, you were schizophrenic. Tell me, when was the last time you had a panic attack and tried to kill yourself?"

Oh, boy, you did not want to go down that route. "My mental health is none of your business."

Brendon raises an eyebrow. "I'm not the only one keeping secrets."

I prowl. Brendon makes no effort to stand his ground. He's intimidated.

"Patrick is currently tied up in a cell. I got angry, which stimulated his urge to attack me. But it was you who forced me to be jealous. You convinced me, the person who cares about him most, that he was replacing me for Dallon. Worst of all, Dallon had no fucking clue. He just went along with whatever you told him to do.

"And this is where your true diagnosis falls into place. You are obsessed with Dallon. He used to be an innocent kid, but you see what you've turned him into. You abuse him and you compel him, like he's some kind of puppet. You are some seriously fucked up psychopath."

"Funny you should say that. Last time I checked, Patrick was the psychopath everybody was afraid of."

I slam into him with all the strength I can muster.

Brendon flies backwards and hits the wall so hard his neck snaps and his skull cracks. Eyes dilate. Lips part but no sound comes out. I assume I've rendered him completely unconscious.

Then the blood. It starts to drip, quite rapidly, from his parted mouth, his nose, his ears...

My heart beats fast with adrenaline, but it isn't from shock or fear.

It's the rush, the satisfaction.

The rid of a bad smell.