16 - Dallon

Quiet.

Sometimes I like the quiet. But not this quiet.

Pete shares his room with Patrick. It's dull, but it's a nice room. No different from anybody else's room, but it's a nice room.

But it's quiet, and it's empty, and I don't feel there is any reason for me to be here. So I go back to Brendon's room.

What I see inside should shock me, terrify me. I should be screaming for help, maybe shedding a few tears. But instead, my eyes glimpse the ground; I decide to follow the indistinct trail of blood. I follow it, and funnily enough, it leads me directly to Patrick's detention cell, the padded white room he's been tied up in for the last half a day.

And what I see inside does shock me, it does terrify me. And my eyes start to shed tears. But I do not run, and nor do I start screaming for help.

I simply look to Pete. He holds Patrick's lifeless body in his arms, rocking back and forth, whimpering and crying and stroking the younger boy's cheek, desperately trying to find any sign of life in those pale, grey eyes.

And Pete looks up at me. Guilty, frightened. Choking and sputtering and trembling.

And now, I realize I should be running. I should be screaming for help. I should tell them what he's done.

But I do not. Because he has not destroyed me by destroying the life of the one person I loved, the one person I thought  I loved. Because of course there was no love. There was only manipulation and discipline and pain, and a handful of people who actually cared about me, cared about me so deeply that they would risk their own sanity to save mine.

He saved me.

Everybody has good in their hearts, somewhere. Brendon was good, and he was true. Sometimes. The little things, they were there, and I'm holding onto them, and it's going to be a long time before I'm brave enough to let go.

Everybody has evil in their hearts, somewhere, too. The best of us do. Patrick. Pete. Me.

But Pete saved me.

So I look into his eyes, and I utter two little words:

"Thank you."