Chapter 2

“Mom! Have you seen my gloves?” The typical start to every game day.

I threw myself out of my bed and got myself dressed half asleep. Today was one of Kyle’s early games. Everyone hated early games. No one ever came. But today might be different. We had so many promising stars and this is the last home game of the season. The last home game before everything changes.

My mom had us out the door in the matter of twenty minutes. We arrived at the ice rink and found our usual spots. Surprisingly the stadium was getting really full. Eric and Mason’s parents found us and started their usual chit chat. Eric’s sister Hailee came over and sat by me.  I was very surprised. She hardly talked to me anymore. We started out close growing up but I was interested in hockey and she loved dance. So obviously I bonded more with Mason and Eric.

“Well this should be an exciting game. Since I am not all in the loop with the whole hockey thing I need your help keeping me updated.” She was making conversation and actually smiled at me. Wow. Wasn’t expecting that.

“It will be exciting. I can feel it. But yes of course I will keep you updated.” I said with a little laugh. I know no matter what I try to teach her it will only go in one ear and out the other. Like when we were little. She wanted to impress Kyle and learn to play a little bit. I tried to help her out but she stared into space blankly. She can be such an airhead I swear.

The announcers started broadcasting the players as they were flying on the ice. The announcer called Kyle’s name and we all stood and cheered. We did the same for Mason and Eric. I had a feeling that all three are going to be drafted by Montreal. They had to. I couldn’t lose my friends. More importantly, Mason.

The game was going good until the third period. A gigantic guy checked Kyle into the boards. Kyle’s helmet went flying and it looked like Kyle was unconscious. He was bleeding from somewhere. The whole team and the medical team surrounded him. I saw Eric drop to his knees beside my brother. He was yelling something but I couldn’t hear over the crowd’s panic.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Mason shoving someone. He was shoving the really big guy that crushed Kyle. My dad ran over to the other side where Kyle was. My mom was losing her marbles and everyone was trying to calm her down. I looked over at my helpless brother and saw that he was completely knocked out. A pool of blood started to form around his head. I started getting tears in my eyes. What is going to happen to my brother? Is he dead? I started crying harder and shook my head trying to push away the negative thoughts

The babble inside my head was interrupted by the sound of a whistle. I quickly turned my head and saw Mason drop the gloves and start fighting. Mason was holding up pretty well. The big guy threw two quick uppercuts and then Mason threw one big massive punch at the guy’s jaw. After that the refs broke them up. They were both kicked out of the game.

I ran over to where my dad was and started trying to talk to Kyle.

“Kyle! Kyle! Can you hear me?”

I got no response. I started getting really worried. I looked to my dad for strength and found some comfort when he put his arms around me and pulled me into a big hug.

“He’s responsive!” Yelled one of the medical team members.

I took a deep breath and started smiling. I saw Kyle slowly get up with the help of the team and medical team and smiled at me.

“Sid! Calm down I am still here. You thought that was the last of me didn’t you?” I smiled and noticed I was still crying. Kyle always tried to lighten up serious situations. Eric and I both locked eyes and we took a deep sigh of relief.