Chapter 3

“I can’t believe that Kyle won’t play in his last game! He is the hardest working player I have ever met! I just can’t.”

“It will be okay Sid. Kyle will figure out a way to keep going. I promise you.” Mason said while pulling me into a big hug.

We were sitting on the frozen lake with our mugs full of the hot chocolate my mom made us. It was a gloomy day and little snow flurries were covering our eyelashes. Days like this make me love Montreal more than I already do.

“Who was the guy who hit him?”

“Drake Ballard. Hate that guy.”

“Drake Ballard as in Chad Ballard’s brother? Chad’s brother?”

Mason just laughed at me and shook his head. “Yes Chad’s brother. I don’t know if it was intentional but I mean I did what I could to get back at him.”

“I saw some of the fight. From what I saw looks like you got him pretty good.”

“The guy is twice my size. I was surprised I hit him once.”

“Yeah but at least you weren’t afraid to stand up to him.”

“Kyle is like my brother. I would do anything for him. And you.”

“Would you really?”

“Well for this whole family really. I love all of you guys. I mean we all grew up together. I couldn’t imagine life any different.”

“I honestly couldn’t either.” I looked at Mason as he was staring into the sky watching the snow fall down gracefully. He could be Sebastien Toutant’s twin. Except with blue eyes. Those beautiful blue eyes.  I wondered if he felt the same way I do about him. I could picture us together. He would be playing for the Canadians and I would be his wife that would always go to his games. I would be cooking dinner and just hearing his key trying to open the front door would make my stomach erupt with butterflies. I know for sure he is the one I want to spend the rest of my life with.

“Dinner is on the table!” We heard my mom calling in the distance.

“I’ll race you there!” Yelled Mason already ahead of me. I laughed and tried my best to catch up to him. He saw I was behind and slowed down.

“I so could have caught up to you!”

“Yeah okay Sid.”

My mom saw us walk through the back door and laughed when she saw us.

“Man, you guys are like little kids. It’s like you guys are still ten.”

“Sydney looks like she is about ten.” Smirked Mason.

“Mason acts like he is ten.” I snapped back.

“Okay you two dinner is on the table go and eat before it gets cold.”

I found my usual spot next to my dad and Mason made himself at home. He sat in the chair directly across from me. My dad was telling his story about how he was almost drafted into the NHL. We all have heard the story a million times but we listened anyway. I felt someone’s foot kick me right in the shin. I gave Mason a look and he smiled. He did it again. I took a deep breath and rolled my eyes.

Mason volunteered us to do the dishes. My parents thanked us and went to the front room to watch their nightly shows. As soon as they left I kicked Mason in the calf. He turned around and threw soap in my hair. I grabbed my glass of water and hurled what was left at his face. He laughed and picked me up and put my head under the sink and turned on the water. I was laughing so hard I couldn’t breathe.