Chapter 5

“Hey tell me what happened. What did Chad say to you?” Eric and I were on the back patio facing the frozen lake. The patio was beautifully lit up with white lights. Eric and his family came by for dinner to celebrate Kyle’s homecoming.

“Um he basically said that I shouldn’t get involved and he knows how to hurt Kyle and well, me.”

“How could he hurt you? You are the strongest girl I know.”

“That’s sweet of you but I don’t think I am strong enough to handle what he could do to me.”

“What do you think he could do to you that is so bad?”

“I told him a secret of mine. I really regret it. I thought I could trust him.”

“What is this secret that you are keeping from me? I am actually surprised that I don’t know all of your secrets.”

“Oh it’s nothing really.”

“Obviously it is a big deal if he thinks it can shred you to pieces.” I looked long and hard at Eric. He was only a couple inches taller than me and he was strong just like every other hockey player. He had light brown shaggy hair and captivating amber eyes. Every time he spoke to me it was always soft and comforting. Well when he wasn’t teasing me.

“I will tell you someday. But not today.”

“I respect that.” Eric smiled at me and looked off into the distance.

“What’s on your mind?”

“I just want to know what is going to the happen in the future. I just feel like nothing is set you know?.”

“I don’t know what I would do if I lost any of you guys.”

“I know what you mean. You guys mean a lot to me. I worked so hard to get to where I am now.”

“I know. Where do you think you are going to go?”

“My gut is telling me somewhere crazy. Like Dallas or even New Jersey. My mind is all over the place. The three of us are top prospects but who knows."

“Are you and Mason doing okay?” I asked very cautiously. I knew from Kyle that Eric and Mason got into a huge fight. Kyle said it is was over something really dumb. I actually believed him because this is the time where the pressure will get to people. Stress will eat them up and destroy them.

“How did you know about that?”

“I have my resources.” I said smiling. Eric laughed before he continued.

“Kyle. Well Mason was stressing out and I was trying to calm him down and I guess I shouldn’t have done that.”

“You know how Mason gets. He is so stubborn and when he stresses it’s the end of the world.”

“I am just trying too hard to not let this draft tear us apart. I guess I am trying too hard to the point where I am pushing people away. Sid, my heart will break if I have to leave you.” I felt my heart drop to my stomach.

“What do you mean?”

“You mean a lot to me. We have been through so much together.” A whole bunch of thoughts went racing through my head. What did he even mean? Does he have feelings for me or is he just treating me like he always has. Like a sister.

“I know. You know what; I just don’t want to think about this anymore. Let’s go do something stupid.” Eric raised an eyebrow.

“Feeling bold are we?”

“Super.”

“Well you are in luck because I have an adventure idea for us.”

“Oh is that right? Well would you like to tell your partner in crime this plan of yours?”