Chapter 7

I woke up to the sun hitting my face. I peeked my eyes open to see my mom opening my curtains. She had tears in her eyes.

“Mom, what’s up?”

“Oh nothing sweetie. You and Kyle just grew up too fast that’s all.”

“Mom, I will still be here. Plus Kyle is going to still be here too.”

“Sydney, don’t get your hopes up. The draft will be unpredictable. No one knows what is going to happen. Let’s get ready for graduation okay? We can go dress shopping! I know you are supposed to do it before instead on the day of but hey, better late than never right?” My mom sat on my bed and looked at the floor. Her shoulders went sluggish and I could tell that tonight was going to be rough. My mom and I have always been close. Except when she had cancer. She hid the fact from Kyle and I for the longest time. She had reached stage two before she told us. But a miracle happened. I don’t know what saved her but I thank whatever did every day.

“I would love to go dress shopping mom but I will only go if you stop being so sad! You know I don’t do well with sadness.”

“I am more happy than sad! Well hurry up and get ready so we can go!”

I did as she said and ran straight for the shower. After putting myself together, I went downstairs to see Kyle staring out the window. I went up behind him and put a hand on his shoulder.

“What’s on your mind?”

“The draft. I can’t stop thinking about it.”

“Kyle, just get graduation out of the way.”

“Where are you going?”

“Dress shopping with mom.”

“Can I come? I need to get my mind off things.” I was shocked by his question. He could tell because he immediately took it back.

“Well if you don’t want me to go I don’t care. It is a girl thing after all. I don’t even know why I asked.”

“Of course you can come. I just never expected you to ask to come to such an event.” I said with a huge smile.

“Well I do want to spend time with my two favorite people in the whole world. Just in case.”

Once my mom was ready we all walked to her car. The ride to the mall was actually enjoyable. Mom cracked jokes about everything she could think of. Kyle sang to us while we all laughed. Moments like this I wish I could lock in a jar and keep it forever.

“Okay Sydney, pick anything you want.”

“Mom I only need like a semi-formal dress. It is going to be covered up!” I told her laughing.

“Well still! I want you to pick something you want. It is a very big day!” She sat on the little couch the store provided by the fitting rooms.

“Hello ladies and gentleman. Is there anything I can help you find?” A worker asked.

“Hello, yes you can. Can you please find my sister a dress that shows no skin? Like her legs are covered and a turtle neck would be great.” We all laughed. Kyle sat next to my mom and held her hand. “I just don’t really have enough energy today to beat hormonal boys up. You get what I am saying? Do you feel what I am putting down?” The worker laughed.

“I am sure we can find something that will fit everyone’s needs.”

The first dress I tried on was dark purple and had a sweetheart cut top. It was lined with silver lace. It was just above the knee.