Chapter 9: The Water of Life

After giving the three of them really helpful instructions—"Go get the Water of Life or get out of my sight"—from Merlin, he left them alone in the throne room. They stood together, looking at each other silently. Finally, Martin broke the silence. "What Story is the Water of Life from?"

"It's called the Water of Life Story," Mimi said. "The water supposedly could heal anyone and even restore the petrified. I'm not entirely comfortable with placing such a weapon in Merlin's hands."

"But you promised him," Philip reminded her. "And you swore that oath on the River Styx. You're stuck with him, and if we don't give him the Water of Life, we're in hot water."

"Philip's right," Martin agreed. "Like it or not, like him or not, we have to deliver the water to him because of your oaths."

Mimi sighed. "Unless we abandon him for good reason, I'm afraid you're right," she said. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have sworn those oaths."

"Don't worry about it," Philip said. "He didn't exactly leave you with much of a choice. It was my fault you got put into that position, anyway. So, how do we get the Water of Life?"

"We follow The Story's path," Mimi said, looking like it killed her to say that. "Instead of those who are supposed to." She looked at them accusingly. "Honestly, don't you two read?"

"I read," Philip said, holding his hands up innocently. "I just haven't read that one. You're going to have to be our guide for that."

Mimi nodded slowly. "Before we go, let me warn you that no matter what you do, do not turn around. Just keep your eyes straight ahead, and we'll be fine. Get it?"

Philip and Martin shared mildly concerned glances before nodding in synch. "Sounds good," Philip said. "I can keep looking straight ahead. It's no big deal."

Mimi gave him a piercing look. "Remember that when we get there," she said, and held out her hand. A Story door appeared in front of them. "Shall we go?"

. . . . . . . . . .

The Story door opened to a strange looking place on the edge of a bright forest, mountains ahead of them. Philip cocked his head at the sheer beauty of the area. "This place is amazing," he commented.

"The Water of Life grows the trees and freshens the air," Mimi answered. "That's what you're feeling. Stay alert; don't let it distract you from your task. Do you remember what you promised me?"

"Not to look behind us, I know," Philip said. Martin nodded, tugging on the sleeve of his too-large robes. "I guess we won't gain much from standing around, huh? Let's go."

The three of them set off down the path. It didn't take them very long to reach the foot of the mountain, leaving the forest behind them. Philip could see his breath, and they weren't even very high up yet. "We should probably put on warmer clothes," he advised the other two.

For some reason, Martin blushed. "I'm not ... very good at changing my clothes," he admitted. All Guardians possessed the magic to change their clothes and match their environments, but it seemed that wasn't Martin's specialty.

Philip scratched his head. "I, umm, don't really know what to say about that," he admitted. Then he removed his leather coat and handed it to Martin. "Here. Hold that. Ready, Mimi?"