Rain|James

■■■

      The dark clouds rolled over head as the dry ground crunched underneath our boots.

"Looks like rain." James spoke next to me as he looked up at the sky.

"I thought you said it was going to be sunny all week." I tugged at my backpack, adjusting it on my shoulder.

"Could have sworn..." James dug in his front right pocket and pulled out his phone, "It says it's sunny right now." He showed me the screen.

"That says Palm Springs." I pointed at the top of the screen as it started to sprinkle.

He turned the screen back to him and started messing with it as it started to rain harder.

"There we go," he scratched his head, "Yeah. It says it's raining."

"Good to know." I smiled at him as the drops of rain started to hit harder, "No wonder the parking lot was empty."

"There." He pointed in the direction of a boulder, creating shelter.

      We took off our bags, placing them on the dirt beside us as we leaned our backs to the rock and sat on the ground.

"How long has it been?" I asked James.

"Almost an hour." He checked the watch on his wrist, "Doesn't look like it's gonna stop anytime soon."

"Well I'm getting hungry." I stood up, picking up my backpack and swinging it over my shoulder.

"It's still raining." He said as if confused.

"I know." I took a step back into the pouring rain, "You've got to learn to enjoy the little things in life, James."

He smiled widely, getting to his feet at once and taking his bag in his hands. I turned my back to him and looked up at the sky, feeling the cold rain on my face.

"Thought most girls didn't like getting their hair wet." James squinted at me though the rain as we walked back to the car.

"Guess I'm just weird." I said to him, "You're gonna have to deal with all this," I motioned to my hair, "turning into a fro."

■■■

We continued waking through the rain, James a few steps behind me as we reached the car.

"Life and death decision?" I asked him as I looked back at him. I snapped him out of his thoughts, his frown quickly disappeared as he looked up at me.

"Kind of." He smiled nervously as he pulled the car keys out of his pocket and opened the trunk of the SUV.

"Anything I can help with?" I asked as I slipped my backpack off my shoulder and tossed it in the trunk.

"Maybe?" He smiled, dropping his gaze to the wet ground, "If I work up the courage." He accidentally slammed the trunk much harder than necessary, as the ran made it harder to get a grip on the door. 

"Courage?" I looked from the trunk to his face and raised an eyebrow at him.

"Yeah." He glanced at me and smiled, "I'm going to ask you to forgive the cheesiness of this move."

He closed the space between us before I could process what was happening, his lips crashed against mine in the pouring rain. I relaxed in his arms, sliding my hand up his chest and placing it behind his neck.

My boot slipped on a rock below me, I slipped back a few inches, my back hitting the side of the car.

"Are you okay?" James chuckled as he slipped with me, his arms still around me.

I nodded once, smiling against his lips, almost begging for the kiss to continue.
As if he knew, he kissed me softly once more, holding me gently as if afraid to hurt me.
I yanked on his beanie from the back of his head, not caring if I dropped it on the mud, I pulled on his short wet hair, biting his lower lip.

My heart beat faster as he pushed me against the car and slipped his tongue in my mouth, the rain still falling harder than ever.

I pushed back against his chest, forcing him to stop.

"I'm sorry," James looked worried, "that was too fast."

"Not at all." I smiled, walking past him, opening the door to the back seat, climbing in, and leaving the door open for him.

I waited several seconds before he leaned his hands on the seat, "You sure about this?" He asked.

"Seriously, James." I smiled, laying down on the car seat to kiss him. He put his hands on my sides, climbing in the car without breaking the kiss.

I was vaguely aware he slammed the car door closed or of the falling rain outside as his warm hands slipped under my wet shirt, pulling it over my head and tossing it down. The car warmed up fast, condensation collecting on the tinted windows as I clawed at the wet skin of his bare back as he laid between my legs...

You read this far, you should vote😘