Family Comes First

Thanks so much for 11K on this book, guys! I appreciate all the support.

~

''Here you go,'' Sherlock said, handing you a steaming cup of coffee. 

You happily accepted it and made some room on the sofa so he could sit next to you. The second he sat down, you snuggled up against him, head resting on his shoulder as you allowed the hot cup to warm your cold hands. You sighed contently as Sherlock wrapped an arm around you and rested his head on yours. 

''Maybe caffeine isn't the best idea right now,'' you stated, laughing lightly. ''We were supposed to get some sleep.''

''I don't think I could fall asleep at this point.''

''Nor could I. I'm too excited to dive deeper into this case.'' 

Sherlock chuckled at your comment. ''I must say it's the most interesting case I've had in my long career of being a detective,'' he admitted. ''However, it's going to be a very draining and dangerous case. We're not just dealing with any ordinary criminal, this is Moriarty we're talking about,'' he said, his tone turning more serious. 

You sighed. ''I know. We'll have to work very carefully but it'll be worth it when we catch the bastard who has ruined so many lives.'' 

Suddenly, you felt Sherlock press a kiss to your head and you turned to look at him. ''What was that for?'' You smiled, copying his expression. 

''I enjoy the passion you have for your work.'' 

You blushed slightly, resting your head back on his shoulder, carefully sipping the hot liquid now and then. 

Though, the calm and quiet moment didn't last long. Loud and intrusive knocking on the door disrupted the peace. 

Sherlock groaned and got up from his comfortable place on the sofa much to your dismay. 

''Are you expecting someone?'' you wondered. 

''Not at all but you know how Mycroft is, always needing to interrupt when it's least convenient.'' 

You rolled your eyes at his childlike behaviour towards his older brother.

''What do you want, Mycroft?'' Sherlock groaned, having opened the door. 

''It's good to see you too, brother dear,'' the older Holmes sibling said sarcastically. 

As Sherlock and his brother continued their childish bickering, you sat up and took the opportunity to take a good look at Mycroft. You instantly noticed something wasn't right. His tie was crooked, his hair was messy and not perfectly moulded as usual. To briefly summarise it, he didn't at all look like the collected Mycroft you were used to.

''Mycroft,'' you interrupted. 

Both men looked at you and stopped their pathetic feud for a moment to listen to you.

''Yes, Miss (Y/L/N)?'' he inquired. 

You rolled your eyes before speaking, ''I told you to call me (Y/N),'' you argued. ''But that's not what I wanted to say. Are you alright? You seem distraught about something.'' 

A small, barely noticeable smile tugged at his lips. ''Good to see at least one of you two is still observant,'' he said, earning a glare from his younger brother. ''There is indeed something going on, and it's well worth being concerned of,'' he started. ''It's our father, Sherlock. He's not doing well.'' A flash of hurt crossed his eyes while he spoke. It was gone almost too fast for you to notice.