Carl Powers

I hope you're all enjoying the story so far. Thanks for reading! ♥ 

~

The cab stopped and immediately, Sherlock jumped out and ran to the door.

Lestrade sighed. ''That man is like a small child sometimes. How do you put up with him?''

''He's smart and passionate, but, yes, he does act like a child sometimes.'' You conjured up a smile, attempting to hide your nerves. You reached for your purse.

''I've got it,'' Lestrade said. ''See it as your Christmas bonus.''

You chuckled. ''Thank you. We better hurry inside.''

Sherlock was anxiously waiting in front of your door, rocking back and forth on the soles of his feet. ''What took you so long?'' he commented at seeing you and Lestrade finally walk in.

You ignored him and dug your keys out of your bag. ''Here,'' you said softly, handing the keys to him. ''You do it.''

His face softened as he nodded slightly. His concerned expression soon vanished as he swiftly turned around and unlocked your door.

You drew in a sharp breath as you peered inside.

A pair of shoes were neatly placed on your coffee table, noses pointing to the door.

''There's no sign of forced entry. How did they get in here?'' Lestrade wondered.

Sherlock slowly approached the shoes, gazing at them intently.

''Be careful,'' you whispered. ''You don't know what's been done to them.''

He crouched down in front of them, observing them. He got closer, his nose almost touching the material.

The pink phone rang, startling both you and Sherlock. He took a deep breath, briefly closing his eyes.

With trembling fingers you took it out of your pocket and answered the call, Sherlock getting up and standing by your side.

''Hello?'' you spoke, a slight shudder in your voice.

''Hello, my pretties,'' an unfamiliar woman said, her voice thick as choked sobs fumbled her words.

''Who's this?'' Sherlock asked, taking the phone out of your shaking hand and holding it up to his lips.

''I've sent you a little puzzle,'' the woman cried, ''just to say hi. I know you've been waiting for it.''

''Who is talking? Why are you crying?''

''I'm not crying, I'm typing.'' Another sob cracks through the phone. ''And this stupid... bitch is reading it out.''

''You're going to be alright, I promise,'' you cut in. You felt anger bubbling inside of you along with a return of the burning passion you felt towards taking Moriarty down. The cries of this woman reminded you of your role. You felt the nerves melt away, you were determined.

''You have twelve hours to solve my puzzle or I'm going to be so naughty.''

The line went dead

''Twelve hours,'' you breathed. ''Twelve hours to solve this fucking puzzle and our only lead is a pair of shoes!''

''We've worked with less, (Y/N). We can figure this out.''

''Yes, we've worked with less, but never with a time crunch like this! We have half a day before that woman dies!''

Sherlock grabbed your shoulders tightly. ''You need to separate your emotions from this case. Emotions are only going to throw you off and block you from seeing the answers. You need to focus on the puzzle, not what's at stake if we don't solve it on time. Focus, (Y/N).''