Double Date

You entered the restaurant and soon spotted a thrilled Mary waving at you from their table.

Sherlock rolled his eyes and grumbled a few words to you before he handed his coat to the doorman and followed you to the Watsons.

''We're so glad you could both make it with the case and all,'' Mary beamed.

''Yeah, of course. I told you we'd come, didn't I?'' you smiled.

''I know, but things can get a little hectic with your job. And with Sherlock, of course,'' she giggled.

''What's that supposed to mean?'' Sherlock called out, looking up from his menu.

''Nothing, Love,'' you assured him with a short laugh.

A waiter approached your table. ''Would you like to see the wine card?'' he offered.

Mary shook her head. ''No, not tonight, thank you.''

''You sure, Mary? I know you love a good wine.''

''Well, actually –''

She was cut off by a second waiter coming over. ''Are you ready to place your orders?''

''I'll have the halibut,'' John spoke, handing his menu to the staff member.

''Same for me,'' Mary told him.

Sherlock gave her an odd look. ''Fish? You despise fish.''

You looked at the waiter. ''And tonight's special twice, please.''

Sherlock was staring at Mary, his eyes scanning her up and down. His mouth opened and his eyes grew in size exponentially as he gasped quietly. ''Oh...''

''Do not make a scene,'' you hissed under your breath.

He ignored you. ''You refused an alcoholic beverage even though you always enjoy wine with your dinner. Your appetite has increased, judging by how excited you look for the food to arrive, and your taste has changed. It all points to –''

You hid your face in your hands and groaned.

John cleared his throat. ''Before you deduce the entire restaurant, Mary and I have an announcement to make.''

''I'm pregnant!'' she squealed.

''Congratulations, you two! We're so happy for you, aren't we, Sherlock?'' You nudged him.

''Yes, yes, very,'' he mumbled absentmindedly.

''How far along are you, Mary?''

''About five weeks. We found out last week and wanted to tell you guys over dinner.''

''We did have something to ask you,'' John added, ''We'd like you to be our child's godparents.''

''Really?'' you marvelled. ''Of course!''

Mary stood up from her seat to embrace you as John shot you a smile.

''Sherlock?''

The man in question sat frozen in his seat, staring at his best friend who was sat in front of him.

John groaned. ''Not this again. This exact thing happened when I asked him to be my best man at my wedding.''

You laughed softly, rubbing your boyfriend's arm. ''You alright there?''

He blinked slowly, turning his head to look at you. ''Godparents?'' He looked back at John. ''You want me to- to be your child's godfather?''

''Yes,'' he confirmed. ''If you're up for it, of course.''

Sherlock nodded, staring ahead of him with wide eyes. He still hadn't fully comprehended it, but that would come in time.

''That's settled then!'' Mary enthused.

You smiled at her. ''We're honoured, thank you. Have you been to the doctor's yet?''

''Oh, yes! You should see the sonogram picture he gave us. It's in the car outside. I'll go get it!''

''I'll come with you,'' you offered, standing up and following her to the parked car.

''You alright, mate?'' John asked.

''I'm fine.''

The blogger nodded. ''Well, for the record, Mary and I are very grateful that you accepted. We were kind of freaked out when we first received the news. I'm not sure we're ready for this.''

''Nonsense,'' Sherlock protested, ''you'll make fantastic parents. You've already had quite the practice, you'll be fine.''

''Practice?''

''Me.''

Both men chuckled a bit before they quieted down again.

''There was something I needed to ask you, John. Now is as good a time as any, I suppose.''

''Yeah, go ahead.'' He sat up straighter.

''I uh –'' He stared at the table, hesitating. ''I wanted to ask (Y/N)... to uh- to marry me,'' he said quietly.

John did a double-take. He leant forward. ''Hold on, what? You want to propose to (Y/N)?''

''Sssh,'' Sherlock hissed. ''I don't want her to know!''

''Right, sorry, yes.'' He lowered his voice. ''You want to propose to her then? Are you sure? You're serious about this? I mean, marriage takes work.''

''I am serious about this. I want to be with her. We already missed out on two years together, I don't want to make that mistake again.''

''But marriage, Sherlock. Do you really think you're ready for this? Have you spoken about it with (Y/N)? Is she ready for this?''

''I don't know,'' he admitted softly. ''If I ask her, it would ruin the surprise. I've managed to keep it a secret so far, I want to keep it that way. Though, I don't want to be rejected.''

''Have you bought a ring?''

He shook his head. ''I don't know how to do any of this, John. I need your help, that's why I'm telling you this.''

''Alright, I guess we could go look for a ring this weekend. Just think about it carefully, would you?''

''What are you boys talking about?'' you wondered, sitting back down at the table.

''Cases,'' John blurted out.

''Godfather duties,'' Sherlock said at the same time.

You gave them a confused look. ''Alright then.''

''Oh, look the food is here!'' Mary exclaimed. ''God, I'm starving. I could eat a horse.''

As the night went on, you all ate and chatted together. Even Sherlock had some food and talked, though not much.

During the entire dinner, he and John shared glances.

His friend's words were stuck in the detective's head.

Was he ready for this commitment? Were you?

He knew he wanted to be with you, but was marriage the right thing for you both?

He would have to think about it and figure it out soon because, in a few days, he'd be shopping for a ring with John. 

~

Thank you for reading, everyone ♥