A Brief Getaway

You dragged your suitcase out of the boot of the car Mycroft had so kindly provided to take you to Sherlock's childhood home. You grunted as the suitcase fell to the ground with a thud.

Sherlock chuckled at your struggles and picked it up. ''Christ, what's in this thing?'' he huffed, needing both hands to support the weight.

''You tell me. You're the one who brought your entire fucking closet with you for a three-day trip,'' you retorted.

''I need options, (Y/N)!''

You rolled your eyes. ''You're a handful.''

''At least I can lift the suitcase.'' He smirked at you.

''Oh, shut up! I haven't worked out in a while, I'll get back to it. I need to be in shape for this case.'' You grabbed the other bag from the car. ''What's in this?''

''Case files,'' he answered. ''I figured we could go over some of the cases I suspect Moriarty was involved in.''

''We can do that when we're back home. These three days are about your father.''

As much as you wanted to dive into those files, you understood it was important for Sherlock to spend time with his family. For the next three days, your case would be on hold.

There wasn't much you could do anyway. You were still waiting for Moriarty to make his move. This was his game, so you had to be patient and let him call the shots. Not that you wanted to, you simply had no choice.

''Let's head inside. It's freezing out here,'' you commented.

Sherlock walked to the door, suitcase trailing behind him. He turned to you. ''Nervous?''

''A bit, yeah,'' you admitted. ''I've never done this before. I didn't think it'd be this nerve-wracking to meet your father.''

''No need to worry, he'll adore you the second you mention our relationship status.''

''The house looks bigger than I remember,'' you said, looking up.

''You've been here?''

''When I was three. Your mother was pregnant with you at the time. My mum and I were invited to her baby shower. I don't remember much of it.''

''I had no idea,'' he spoke softly. ''She never mentioned you.''

''I don't blame her,'' you chuckled. ''Our mothers were friends but didn't spend much time together. My mum was always working or travelling. When you were born, I didn't come here anymore. Your mother didn't want you around my dad. She hated him. It's why our parents stopped being friends even before my family moved.''

''Did you ever meet Mycroft back then?''

You shook your head. ''I never met your dad either. I only came to this place twice as a child. Our mothers usually got together at a restaurant or park when they hung out. Come to think of it, I don't think your mother liked mine all that much,'' you chuckled.

''I'm sure she adored you.'' He flashed you a small smile before turning away and ringing the bell.

You immediately heard footsteps shuffling behind the door. Your nerves grew as you heard the rattling of keys. The door popped open.

''Sherlock!'' Mr Holmes called out, embracing his son. ''I haven't seen you in so long. How have you been?''

He patted his father's back and cleared his throat. ''Fine. I'm fine.''

''I'm glad you stopped by, son. It's too quiet in this house without your mother.'' His eyes grew dim at the thought of his wife. A sad smile crossed his face before he noticed you. Instantly, his eyes lit up. ''A girl? You brought a girl with you, Sherlock?''