Overworld Chapter 1 - Oakpoint State College

...in the back of a lecture hall. One of two that Oakpoint State College is very proud to have. It's not a big lecture hall like you'd image from Hyrule University, with rows and rows of seats for hundreds of students. Maybe 80 people could fit in here, which is decent enough if you're trying to sleep in the back of a class, but not so big that if you weren't trying to sleep through a class you'd have trouble hearing the professor.

And sleeping through class hadn't been a habit for the young man seated at the back of the lecture hall. He's positioned himself behind a goron, just in case. For extra measure, his laptop was open to block his face. Definitely something he's never done before.

Keeping an indent from forming on his cheek was a dark green beanie beneath his head. The hat was a close shade to the collared button up, both contrasted by a brown undershirt. Hidden beneath the table were a pair of khaki pants, not quite jeans, but not quite baggy, and high, brown riding boots. It's likely that this young man was among the nicer dressed individuals in the class at the moment. It's almost more than likely that he had a job interview this afternoon after class.

He had debated just skipping the lecture. It's not like the professor would have noticed. But among debating whether his barn boots were good enough for an interview, being half caked in mud, and whether it was even worth applying for this job, routine had just clicked in and he ended up in class anyway. With his laptop set to record the whole talk, he had just decided to come.

Speaking of which, it was now that his laptop decided to move the plot along. Softly, but with increasing volume, it began to ring. At first, the young man ignored the sound, trying to scrap a few more seconds of sleep out. It was only when the goron he had situated himself behind tapped his arm that he started to come to. "Hey, Sayre. You wanna shut that thing up?"

Rubbing an eye behind the screen, he blinked his eyes open. Bright white letters floated across the screen "Wake up, Link! Wake up, Link! Wake up, Link!" floating along like a news channel banner.

Link hit the space key and slid his reading glasses back up his nose. He ran a hand through his blonde hair, smiling groggily back at the goron as he sat up straight. "Sorry."

Twisting back around, the goron left Link to wake himself up. Link blinked repeatedly as he peered down towards the professor, who paced as he rambled on about whatever it was that Link had missed. He would catch himself up later this evening. At the moment, it sounded like nonsense. Well, BIO 101 was basically nonsense to him, but he needed the credits. There only a few minutes left in the lecture in any case.

It wasn't a moment too soon for Link when the professor released them. He saved the audio file and hoisted his leather messenger bag over his shoulder as he stuffed his 5 year old computer in and made for the door.

OSC was a small college. You could walk across its campus in ten minutes at a brisk walk. On the east side were the majority of the halls, and on the west were the dorms, with the university center set right in the center and surrounded by park and trees and frisbee golf that Link had only tried his freshmen year and given up on. It was to that green that Link made his way now.

With an hour to kill, and sleep still hanging to him more than he was happy with, Link bought a sandwich and then sat down on the lawn beneath one of the oaks for which his hometown was named. As he ate, he people-watched, trying to wonder if any of their lives were worse than his in that particular moment. And when he decided no, he started to imagine how their lives were likely better than his. It didn't exactly help his nerves.

"Hey hey, Link, my man!"

Link looked up as a burly young man his age walked towards him. Waving with his free hand, Link answered his friend. "Hey, Dwarf."