Overworld Chapter 2 - Equestrians As Athletes

...and started to make his way towards the door. Almost immediately, that sense of bravery plummeted into the pit in Link's stomach. It was too late to turn back now though, so Link kept walking.

A few students mingled in the lounge, most likely waiting on rides home. Link waved to a few of the older kids who were part of the competition team the center had put together. As Link cleared the room, someone pulled him off into the hallway leading to the stalls.

"She's gone nuts."

Link blinked, looking up at the motley grey rito who had yanked him aside. "What's going on, Uma?"

Uma looked down the hall towards the second main building where the boxes were. "This new manager. She's gone mad."

"About what?"

"Tako suggested we offer a class for the Children's Open House to ride through the pond. Not even have the horses swim, just ride through the shallow end and splash in the water." Uma was practically preening himself he was chewing at his feathers so hard.

"Did she say no?"

"No! That's the thing. She's just thrown herself into work like a mad person. Dropped basically everything to do it. Now she's yelling at Tako and I for not putting together plans, not having horses picked out, not deciding who's going to lead the rides, everything, when she nearly had the whole thing put together." Uma shook his head as he pulled his wing away. "She's mad, I tell you, mad. You're sure your mother won't step in?"

"She'd probably love to, but she's got Lena and Max to take care of right now," Link answered, folding his arms. "Did the manager forget about my interview?"

"I don't know. I don't know. That woman is crazy. She better give you the job," Uma replied, starting to walk away. "Goddesses know I need a levelheaded person in this stable again."

"What about Tako?"

Uma shuddered, pacing the hall for a moment. "I think she might even break him at this rate." He placed a wing on Link's shoulder. "Good luck." Then Uma walked away.

Link took another deep breath as Uma vanished around a corner. He started walking towards the boxes. As he pushed open the door to the student's half of the stable, he spotted another motley rito. This one was slightly darker and taller than Uma and far less on edge. At least visibly. Based on how Uma had responded to the woman beside Tako, Link wondered how much frustration Tako was hiding.

"Gloria, we've done the cart pull for the past ten years. It's a fun experience for the kids and a good workout for the drafts." Tako folded his arms, catching Link out of the corner of his eye. He tipped his head towards the woman, urging Link to step into the conversation.

Hanging back for a moment, Link listened to what Gloria had to say before stepping forward, "It's still dangerous, Tako. Those carts are old and unstable. Not to mention it deters boarders from considering us. We run a prestigious equestrian center. Cart racing makes us look like farmhands, not equestrians."

Now Link took a step forward. "I don't see why it would do that. Epona and I took the blue at Deku Province last year for cart and dressage. Most people enjoyed seeing a draft at a high level dressage event. Breaks up the monotony of thoroughbreds and quarter horses."

Tako nodded. "You'd think boarders would be interested in seeing the prize winner."

Gloria paused, studying Link for a moment. "I presume you're Link Sayre then." Link nodded. "And you'd like to start this interview by contesting with me?"

Link shifted on his feet for a moment. "I didn't really think--" Gloria's glare cut himself off. Guess they were starting then. He nodded, planting himself firmly. "Epona and I have volunteered as the Open Houses for five years. My mother, her draft Maeve, and I all helped before then. There has never been an accident with the carts. Not to mention seeing drafts competing has encouraged more local riders to board with us. Not everyone in Oakpoint can afford a thoroughbred, but they can afford work horses and ponies. We aren't the Royal Stables, we shouldn't act like it."