Dungeon Chapter 4 - Pitfall

...and remained that way. Link thanked whatever Goddesses made them shut up. Walking back into the main chamber, Link forced himself from looking up at the monster dangling above the room. He wished he could have put it out of mind, but the sounds of its vines rubbing and creaking above him had become all too acute to him now that he had seen it.

Another key in his hand, Link debated returning to the top of the pit once more and unlocking a door, or whether he should explore the final third of the dungeon he had left unvisited. With the skulltulas still crawling around on the vines, Link cast his eyes in the direction of the third door. He probably would be able to climb up from that room to the next floor, and save him a scramble up the vines. With that in mind, Link made his way over to the door.

On the other side was another pool. Two platforms floated across the water, passing for a moment under a grated platform. With the water level where it was, Link wouldn't have been able to jump up to that platform until he turned on the water switch he assumed would be two stories above.

Unable to reach the chest, Link hopped down onto the platform as it drifted to him. He stepped onto the next, passing under the chest and onto the far side of the room. He climbed back up from the pool, and as he stood there, a thought came to him. Link turned back, scanning the room, but finding no switch inside this room. As he looked off it once more to check, Link furrowed his brows. "Weird."

Maybe he just needed a different angle, like the switch hiding behind the waterfall. At least, that's what he tried to convince himself as he couldn't find the lever. Instead, he climbed up the ramp to the next floor of the dungeon. At the top of the ramp, he found another room with a hole in the center. It had a mesh grate over top of it, similar to the platform the chest was resting on below. Link looked down through the mesh as he reached the center of the room. No chance of dropping down on this one. He scanned the sides of the walls, but there was nothing in the pit going down either. There just wasn't a switch in this third of the dungeon, it seemed.

Link ran through his options. He had two more doors to unlock. One of those doors would lead him to a chest, and he would need another key, supposing he even needed to turn on all three of these water switches. Figuring he would, Link decided that the best course of action would be to turn on the water switch above him first and then come back to deal with the third one.

It was a short climb back to the top of the pit. Link had gotten used to the charges the skulltulas would make at him, and dodging them was easier. It wasn't any less nerve racking to have a spider nearly the side of a horse rush him, but at least he knew how to get by them.

Like the other key, this one broke as soon as Link used it. The lock fell off with an uncomfortably loud thud that failed to wake the monster, and Link pushed the door open. The room was nearly identical to the other one he had walked into, though this one didn't have a ladder dropping down into the next room. Not a problem, Link could just climb back down the vines.

So, he pulled the switch. The wood groaned but moved under his push until it hit the far end of its track. Link was about to leave when noticed that there was no sound of rushing water. He squatted down before dropping to his stomach and pressed his ear to the floor. Sure enough, there was no sound of water from beneath him. Link scowled as he stood back up. "What was the good in that then?"

Perturbed, Link walked out of the room. The switch had to do something. The Restoration wouldn't give him an unsolvable puzzle. He climbed down a floor and returned to the room with the mesh in the middle of the floor. As he walked in, he glared at the ceiling, where no water was producing itself. Not even a drop. A misplaced drop of water managed to echo up to him, furthering his frustration, as if mocking that no mocking was falling from above.