Fear of Rejection

I get home, and immediately go to my room to try on the dress. It hugs my body, exaggerating my hips, chest, and ass, but doesn't change the size of my slim waist. The dress is mostly black, but the bottom fabric is black and white, giving the dress a silver, metallic, glistening lustre. The bottom of the dress goes half way to my calf. I twirl around looking in my mirror as I do so. I love the dress, which is something I never once thought I would think. My mom walks in just as I am putting on the pair of heels she insisted I wear.

"No." She says, and I look up at her.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"Not with that dress you're not." Her eyes glare at me sternly, making my wolf whimper.

"The dress is covering everything. What do you mean 'no?'" I whimper.

"Not the dress. The dress is perfect for you. I mean the shoes. I don't know what I was thinking giving those to you. You can't walk in heels!" My mom laughs. She turns around and grabs something from the hallway. She walks in with a box. "Here." She says handing me the black box.

Curiously, I except the package from my mom and open it, pulling out the most gorgeous shoes I've ever seen. Inside are black Converse with silver crescent moons on them. A smile plasters over my face. "Thank you! I love them." I walk over and pull her into a big hug. She pulls back after a minute and tells me to continue getting ready. I nod and take the dress off, carefully putting it away in my closet. I look around for my phone and spot it on my bed. I unlock my iPhone and text Aura to come over. Less than 5 minutes later my mom calls out that she's here.

My bedroom door is busted open and Aura stands in the doorframe with her arms outstretched doing the jazz hands motion. I sigh and shake my head.

"Storm! You look gorgeous! Drop dead!" She shouts. Aura suddenly starts coughing and grabs her neck. I roll my eyes as she collapses to the ground, her limbs stretched and her tongue sticking out. I laugh and shake my head.

"C'mon Aura, you've got work to do. You said you wanted to do hair and makeup, right?" Aura nods and gets up, groaning, moaning, and sticks her arms out, limping and shuffling towards me like a zombie. I can't help but laugh. "Just hurry up." Aura rolls her eyes and walks back into the hall. She returns with a knapsack. "What's in that?" I whisper.

"A bunch of hair products and makeup stuff. Everything you don't have," I shake my head and groan. "Hey, cheer up Stormers. Or should I say Skylar?" Aura mocks. I whip around to face her and snarl.

"Don't call me that, it's Storm." I growl. Storm -my wolf- is whimpering. My actual name is Skylar, I but I got everyone to call me Storm when I turned 13 and had my first shift. Aura laughs, slapping her knee.

"What I never understood was why you go by Storm. Only your mate is supposed to call you by your wolf name." Aura says gently, I shrug.

"I dunno, because I want everyone to know that I'm boss. I don't want to be controlled. So if I get everyone calling me by my wolfs name, no one can control me. Especially not my mate." I whisper. I'd never admit it, but I'm quite frightened of finding my mate. It scares me. What if he's mean? What if he's controlling? What if he's abusive? But worst of all, what if he rejects me? That scares me. How could it not?

Aura walks over to me, and takes a seat on my bed, patting the empty spot beside her. Sometimes it's like she can read my mind. Oh wait, she can, we're linked.

"It's okay. No one would ever hurt you without me killing them. I'd rip their jaw off, skin them with a potato peeler and let my wolf have her way. And not in a sexual way, a 'I'm gonna kill you,' way." Aura laughs gently. I nod, sit beside her, and lean on her side, resting my head on her shoulder. I couldn't have a more violent best friend. And I would be more likely to trade one of my younger brothers to keep her around. I wish she could just move in. My mom would allow it, but her dad would never, sadly.