-13- Mother Bear and Coffee Cups

"Mason! Table three!" George, one of the café cooks, calls as he places a fresh plate of eggs Benedict on the counter.

Mason sighs, groaning as he fast-walks back to the front counter. Today was the busiest morning he had seen in a very long time. Tobias was going to let him have a few more days off, but it was like he had a sixth sense for these kinds of things, and knew that today was going to be hectic --hence, calling Mason in.

Grabbing the plate, Mason quickly heads over to table three. There were so many people that you couldn;t really see the table numbers, but Mason (along with all the other employee's) had memorised all the table placements and their assigned numbers.

"Eggs Benedict?" Mason smiles at the couple, holding the plate out.

The woman smiles in return and lifted her hand a little, letting him know where to place the food. As he leans down to place it in front of her, Mason felt the usual twinge in his abdomen.

Cringing at the familiar pain, he quickly leaves the couple  with a rushed "enjoy" and fast walks his way back to the counter, a hand held to his stomach.

"Mace?" Tobias questions as he spots the pained employee.

"C-can I just have a few minutes break?" Mason could feel himself paling as the pain intensified.

Surely this isn't normal.

Tobias nods his head, shooing him off. Immediately Mason scampers off to the bathroom, sitting on the lid of a toilet, breathing in and out to try and calm himself down. His hands were shaking even! It hurt like hell, like someone was twisting his guts into a bow,

"It's okay. Everything is going to be fine... nothing is wrong...nothing." He murmurs, trying in vain to calm his racing heart down.  

Holding a hand to his stomach, another spike of pain hits, causing him to open his mouth in a silent gasp, squeezing his eyes shut. 

"Mason?" Tobias' voice echoes through the bathroom, yet again.

"Y-yeah?" Mason croaks out, hunched over.

"I've called Ben. He said he'll be able to come pick you up at three."

No dammit! He didn't want Ben to come!

"N-no Tobias, it's fine! I'm alright... I just needed to sit down for a bit."

Tobias moves to the entrance of the stall, which Mason had left the door open to, "Mason, have you been to the doctor? You've been sick for a long time now. You can't even get through one shift without feeling miserable."

"I've been going to the doctor... I have an appointment with Maier after this shift," Mason sighs clutching at his stomach again, "I know that I'm not ... at my best Tobias, but I swear, I'll be fine – "

"Did you say Maier?" He interrupts, a puzzled expression on his face.

"Yeah? She's my doctor...."

Wait, why did he care?

"I thought she quit being a GP?"

Mason's eyes widen as he looks up at Tobias, whose eyes had also widened.

"It's not what you think!" Mason blurts. What else could he think it was?

"Then enlighten me, Mason, because right now I'm beginning to have a lot of questions." Tobias asks, seconds away from freaking out himself.

"L-look. I haven't... lied to you, or anyone okay? I-its just that my body is a little different and all that -- To be honest I have no fucking clue what is going on, so I'd really appreciate it if you didn't freak out on me right now. I'm not a freak -- well technically -- but I'm not!" Mason rushes, breathing a little more heavily.