-16- Cravings and Cupcakes

Mason sits in front of his laptop, tapping a pencil on the desk. He didn't end up calling the doctors yesterday. Instead, he hung out with Ben and chilled on the couch. So now, a day later, he thought he might as well google and see what happens... 

Big mistake. It wasn't good. The bullshit articles only scared him, and the actual factual pieces of writing were too factual to the point of him not understanding a single word. A few paragraphs insisted for him to visit a doctor, but for some reason Mason really didn't want to. He felt sick to the stomach trying to comprehend going back there. Having her touch him, and prod him, and get out that freaky machine that apparently would need to go inside of him to get a better look.

Well, he still had to go to that appointment, he just didn't want to hear any more bad news.

Gnawing on his lip, Mason rises from the desk, and heads out to the hallway for the phone. He found the phone number for the clinic last night -- exactly where Ben said it would be-- but had put it off until now. Now that he'd managed to freak himself out.

Dialling the number, Mason glances towards to lounge to see if Ben's there, only to find the couch empty.

Nervous, Mason begins biting his thumb nail-- a nervous habit he thought he had finally gotten under control, but apparently not -- waiting for the clinic to pick up.

"Hello, Halo Specialist Centre this is Carol speaking." The peppy voice pipes up through the phone.

"Um, hi. I want to book an appointment to see Dr Maier?" he pauses, "Under Mason Fain."

He was still as awkward as hell on the phone.

"Oh yes, I see you already have one coming up, would you like to change it? Is there a particular day?"

"As soon as possible please." He clears his throat a little.

"Well, you're very lucky as we've had a cancellation this afternoon. Would you like me to book you in? It's at two in the afternoon." she asks nicely.

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, that's perfect." Mason glances towards the clock in the kitchen, noticing that it was twelve already.

"Well you're all booked in Mr Fain, just ask for her when you arrive. Two pm."

"Thank you." He replies in a chocked manner, hanging up promptly.

Ben would not be coming with him. He'd have to make up some sort of excuse, or lie, to get him to stay away... maybe he'll just get Bryan to cover him, that would work. Bryan was a good friend. Plus, it would be good to get out of the house and just relax a bit. God knows he needed it.

"Ben!" he yells, not bothering to move from the phone's cradle. He wasn't sure if Ben was actually in the house, but if he is...

A muffled "yeah?" replies.

Mason immediately grabs his shoes -- conveniently by the couch -- and searches quickly around for his keys and wallet, hoping they aren't back in his room.

"I'm going out for a bit! Won't be back til.... I dunno. Don't wait up for me!" again he shouts, shutting the door behind him in a hurry.

A muffled yelp followed by a thump, (most likely Ben) reaches Mason's ears, but he ignores it, running down the stairs with his wallet in hand. It was a little early to head to the appointment, but if he went to Bryan's first, maybe snatch a cupcake... yeah a cupcake sounds good.

With that decision made, Mason heads straight for the bakery in his car. He could have walked.... but who could be bothered?

Switching on the radio to fill the silence, one of the old 90's songs fills his car with guitar and a decent beat. Tapping along, he can't help the smile on his face. Ben wasn't with him and he felt a sense of...relief. He wasn't tense, and for once in his life, he didn't feel any pain or any nausea.