~Chapter Sixteen~

"What colour do you want the table cloths to be?" Layton asked, on the phone. He turned to Lexi who was sat on the windowsill of the office with her head stuck in a book.

"Lexi." He called again, and she looked up slowly looking confused.

"Hmm?" She asked, folding the corner of the page.

"What colour do you want the table cloths to be?" He asked.

She shook her head and looked down, smiling.

"Lexi." He looked annoyed and she just laughed at him.

"Layton, I don't care what colour they are... Will you stop worrying about this? It's a ceremony, not a wedding." She told him gently, still looking down at her book.

"Will you be more concerned when it is a wedding? Our wedding?" He asked, curiously.

"Give it a few years." She told him, smirking a little.

He smiled. "Name a colour Lexi. Any colour."

"Whatever colour we already have, I don't want you spending money on this. It isn't that important." She told him.

"It is to the pack, Lexi." He said seriously and she sighed, she put her book down and walked over to the desk, leaning on it and facing him.

She reached out her hand and held his. "What do we already have?"

"White, maroon or dark blue." He told her.

"White." She told him.

"White." He repeated it to whoever he was on the phone to. "What about table decorations?"

"Layton." She mouthed his name, closing her eyes slowly.

"I'll call you back." He said hanging up and placing his phone down onto the mahogany desk with a thud.

He let go of her hand and pulled her forward, she sat on his thigh.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Nothing is wrong." She told him. "I just don't like seeing you stressed."

"I'm not stressed, I just want it to be organised. There's only a few days." He pointed out.

"I trust your choices, Layton. Who were you talking to?" She asked.

"Aspasia. She's the events organiser." He told her, placing his hand on her lower back.

"I'll ring her." Lexi told him, feeling the stubble that was growing on his jaw.

"I want to talk to you." He asked. She frowned, putting her hand on his shoulder to steady herself.

"You are talking to me"

"No. I mean properly." He told her, seeming nervous.

"Go on." She told him.

He sighed. "I just want to make sure you're okay... I know that you're not used to being around guys and trusting men much... I just need to know if you're okay because if you're not we can postpone the ceremony and and-"

She leant in and kissed him, stopping his words. "I know what you mean and... I am okay." She told him.

"Are you sure? This must be a big change for you.."

"Layton. I'm so happy here. Can you not see that? You've sweeped me off my feet, you've been patient, you're kind and caring. Yes, you have temper but it's just Alexos being protective most of the time anyway. I know I can trust you. If I wasn't comfortable I would tell you." Lexi explained slowly.