Special! Modern AU! - Happy Birthday! (Part 1)

A/N In this chapter, Tiamat, Aruru and Sylph don't exist

"The decorations are all set!" Sasha exclaimed, taking one last look of the decorated living room before nodding in approval several times. "Sure?! Is everything in place?" Bertholdt asked, running around the house, making sure everything was perfect. "Bertholdt, we all know you want Phoenix's birthday to be perfect but seriously, give it a rest will you? This is enough!" Mikasa said, barricading the door so as to prevent Bertholdt from leaving the room again.

Bertholdt gave an exasperated sigh before slumping on the couch, tired as hell from continuously inspecting Phoenix's decorated home. "Okay, Annie go wake her up." Bertholdt said, pointing at the winding staircase leading towards Phoenix's room. Annie nodded before making her short journey to Phoenix's bedroom.

"Wake up, wake up, wake uuuuuup." Annie's attempt to wake Phoenix were futile, the girl was the world's deepest sleeper. "Noooooo." Phoenix murmured, turning to her side and throwing Annie over the edge of the bed in the process.

"ANNIE! WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG??!!" Sasha questioned from beneath the staircase. Annie had left for Phoenix's room after nearly a half hour and she still hadn't returned with the birthday girl.

"SHE'S DEFEATING ME IN A FIGHT IN HER SLEEP!" Annie yelled back. "What?" Sasha asked, scratching her head in confusion. "Phoenix is a deep sleeper, it is literally impossible to wake her up and if you hold her, she's toss and turn so much that she'll send you flying over the sides of her bed." Mikasa explained, she only knew this because she, Annie and Phoenix lived together.

"Then I'll do it!" Sasha exclaimed, pulling up her sleeves and marching up the stairs only to come tumbling down them again. "I don't even know how Phoenix threw me down here." She said before getting up and dusting herself off.

Bertholdt held a small black box in his hands. He kept a firm grip on it and refused to let anyone else touch it, when asked why, he would only reply with "It's a present for Phoenix."

Inside of the box, however, was an accessory but not just any accessory, far from it, what was hidden inside the box was engagement ring and a very expensive one at that. He knew red was Phoenix's favorite color and a result, the ring was a brilliant shade of red. The ring had a ruby with the words 'BERTHOLNIX FOREVER' encrusted on it, and smaller rubies circling it.

The perfect present, one might say.

"BERTHOLDT HOOVER, CAN YOU EXPLAIN TO ME WHY THE HELL PHOENIX IS WEARING ONE OF YOUR SHIRTS???!!!" Annie yelled from Phoenix's bedroom.

Bertholdt gulped and muttered a string of profanities under his breath. The events of the night before we're now obvious to everyone seeing as they cheering and clapping.

"I'M GOING TO BE AN UNCLE!" Reiner yelled, cheering louder than everyone else. Bertholdt blushed an unknown shade of red as he hung his head, absolutely embarrassed "Y-you can't be s-sure about that j-just yet." Bertholdt replied, confirming everyone's suspicions.

"Holy crap! So you guys did do it!" Connie exclaimed, pointing at Bertholdt with a horrified look plastered on features. "How did you. . . . . How did you even manage to pull her into it?" He fired an endless barrage of questions at Bertholdt with rewarded him with a smack upside the head from Mikasa. "Connie, you can't ask about that kind of thing." She scolded him. As a reply, he stuck out his tongue and she stuck out her own as well.

"I'm uuuuuuuuup." Phoenix slurred, throwing Annie off the side of the bed for the last time. "Finally! Okay, change out of Bertholdt's shirt and dress nicely." Annie instructed at once.

Phoenix threw off her scarlet colored blanket and slid out of bed, only to land flat on her face. "Aaaaannnniiiieeee." Phoenix called out from her spot on the floor. Annie heaved a sigh before turning around and helping Phoenix up. "Bertholdt must've gone too hard on you." She said.