Chapter 10

My house, Piedmont Pines, fifth house on the left. Be there tomorrow night at 7 p.m.’

Not even a minute later, I got the text back. And just that simple gesture, I knew he’d been waiting for the past two weeks for my call or text.

I read over the text again and recognized it to be the address that he told me when I woke up the next morning after my birthday. Why his house though? Maybe he wanted some privacy because he knew I’d probably start yelling at him.

I looked at the time on my phone and realized I had to be at the Jones’s house in thirty minutes to babysit. I put on something comfortable which was black leggings, a loose short sleeved t-shirt, and my slides with socks on. I gathered my stuff together and shut my door after me, walking towards the front door.

“Where are you off to?” My mom questioned, stepping away from the kitchen while wiping her hands on a dish towel.

I turned and faced her respectfully before speaking, “Off to the Jones’s to babysit. Won’t be but maybe three or four hours.” I informed, hugging the laptop close to my chest.

My mom nodded at my words and went to flick her tongue out to lick crumbs off the side of her mouth. I narrowed my eyes and tilted my head.

“What’re you eating?” I questioned, walking up a little.

My mom was shocked at my words and took a little step back. “N-nothing.”

I looked down at the dish cloth and saw chocolate marks all over it. I widened my eyes and took the dishcloth from her hands.

“You’ve been eating chocolate turtles! Willow was right. . .” I accused, gripping the cloth in my hand tightly.

My mom was quick to defend herself, “Yeah. . .well Sloane told me you’ve been eating junk! That’s why you’ve been at her house so much.” My mom fired back, no longer having that nervous look on her face but now a smirk.

“Why would Sloane tell you?” I questioned, groaning at the thought of my best friend.

My mom walked forward and took the cloth from my hands, “You should know by now that Sloane and I are besties.” She smiled and kissed my cheek. “Have fun at the Jones’s and drive safely because it’s raining.” My mom said before walking away from the front door and to the kitchen with a pep in her step.

I shook my head and grabbed the small purple umbrella that hung on the coat rack. “I love you!” I said before stepping out the door.

Before I closed it, I heard my mom’s muffled, “I love you too!”

*

“We should only be a couple of hours, Kadence, thanks again honey.” Mrs. Jones, Mariah, said standing at the door with her husband Trent.

They were polar opposites from what I could gather from babysitting for them for three years now.

Mariah was always consumed with her work as an artist and always was working on a new portrait. Mariah is a shy and introverted woman but can be adventurous when it comes to her work. Sometimes when I come over, I find her in the grass with an easel and canvas with multi-colored paints at her side. She’ll be painting the scenery in front of her.

Trent, on the other hand, was a careless drunk who spent away his days watching the television to see if he had the winning numbers on his lottery tickets.

I always felt bad for Mariah.

She was tied down to a man who just didn’t seem to care about her or their child who is the sweetest ever, Melody. Considering Mariah is religious, they wouldn’t be parting ways anytime soon. Mariah felt as if marriage was a pure thing, which it really is, and that if you get married you have to stick with that person no matter what. Till death do you part.