two

❦ ✰ ❦ ✰

CHAPTER TWO

❦ ✰ ❦ ✰

❦ ✰ ❦ ✰

The yellow dress sparkled, as Blythe twirled in front of the mirror. She smiled, and placed her hands on her hips, before she saw her mother's reflection next to her, her eyes twinkling with glee.

"You look so beautiful, B." Her mother gushed, embracing her eldest daughter in her arms.

"That dress is perfect for you," Indi said, her hands behind her back. She stepped forward and brought her arms forward, a box placed gingerly in her hands, "I found this while you were trying on the dress."

Blythe raised her eyebrow, and opened the lid to find a yellow sequinned mask sat on a lining of felt, "Indi," She took out the mask and fitted it on to her eyes; the mask covered the area of her nose and eyes, leaving her mouth exposed, "I didn't know it was a masked dance?"

Indi nodded, "I forgot to tell you," She gasped when she saw the complete outfit, "You look incredible, B. Has this persuaded you enough to come with me?"

"It has indeed," Blythe smirked, before turning to her best friend, "What are you wearing?"

Indi winked, and tapped her nose, "You'll soon see."

❦ ✰ ❦ ✰

"I'm really nervous, Indi," Blythe said, as she peered out of the passenger window of the car, "What if I fall down the stairs and make a fool of myself?"

"B, stop thinking like that. I promise, you'll be fine," Indi smiled, watching as Blythe bit her lip, "Stop biting your lip. You'll make it peel."

Blythe' face reddened before she sighed in anticipation. Indi opened her door and grinned, "Okay, are we ready to have the time of our life?"

"I think so." Blythe said, stepping out of the car, and following her best friend towards the building.

The large doors opened, and the booming sound of some cheesy pop songs could be heard as they made their way down a deserted hallway, before stopping at a stairwell.

"Ready?" Indi asked, and Blythe replied with a nod.

❦ ✰ ❦ ✰

"Josh, why don't you dance with me?" Cleo asked him, pulling at his hand.

Josh looked down at her extremely revealing dress, and shook his head, "I'm okay, actually. My feet are hurting from dancing earlier." He lied. Cleo scrunched up her face, and stomped away, pulling on her mask in the process.

Josh watched as she left, relieved that he was finally free of her for the time being.

"Hey, man, where's Cleo? You finally got rid of her?" Noah, his best friend, asked, a drink in his hand, as he came up next to Josh.

Josh shrugged, and took a sip of his own drink, "I don't know and quite frankly I don't care."

"Try and find another chick to dance with. It won't be too hard. I mean, you're Joshua Matthews after all." Noah reminded him, slapping him on the back.

Josh shut his eyes and lowered his head at Noah's words; you're Joshua Matthews after all. That's how it was. That's how it had been for a long time. There was no doubt that people loved Josh, but he never knew whether their love was genuine or if it was because of his popularity.

It was the silence of the room that caused Josh to raise his head. He looked to where everyone was staring and saw a girl wearing the most princess-like dress he had ever seen. Her face was half concealed with a mask, leaving Josh to wonder who this girl was.

He looked at Noah, and whispered, "Who is that?"

Noah shrugged, "No idea. We can't see her face, idiot."

Josh rolled his eyes and stood up, leaving Noah at the table, before weaving through the crowd, who had now continued their dancing. He muttered a few sorry's and excuse me's as he made his way towards.

"Hey," He said, holding his hand, "Do you want to dance?"

The girl looked up, her brown hair bouncing in waves as she nodded her head, "I would love to."

She looked towards her friend, who put two thumbs up, before she took Josh's hand.

He guided her to an empty space on the dance floor, and placed both hands on her hips. Josh smiled as she held his shoulders with her hands, and they began to move their feet.

"I should let you into a little secret. I can't dance." She whispered, as they swayed their hips to the slow song that had just began to play.

Josh laughed, "Well, neither can I." He admitted, as they turned in a circle.

"So, we'll make a fool out of each other." Josh smirked, causing her to blush.

The two danced for a few more songs, before they finally sat down at a table, drinks in their hands.

"You haven't taken your mask off yet," Josh reminded her, as she sipped her drink, "Or told me your name."

Blythe smirked and leaned forward, her finger gripping the side of her mask. She looked over Josh's shoulder, and took note of the clock that was hung on the wall. 11:37 pm.

Blythe gasped, and stood up from her seat, quickly rushing over to Indi.

"It's nearly 12. My parents will kill me if I'm late home." She shouted, pulling Indi towards the stairs.

"Wait!" She heard Josh shout, but she was already halfway up the stairs.

He stopped running once he reached the staircase, and sighed, looking at the floor, where he noticed a silver necklace laying on the ground. He picked it up, and opened it to find a small photo of a dog inside.

He looked up at the top of the stairs, where the girls had just been, and smiled when he realised who the necklace must belong to.

❦ ✰ ❦ ✰