four

❦ ✰ ❦ ✰

CHAPTER FOUR

❦ ✰ ❦ ✰

❦ ✰ ❦ ✰

"Do you know why I love P.E?" Indi asked, standing next to Blythe, who was tying up the laces of her trainers.

Blythe rolled her eyes, and stood up, pulling her ponytail tighter slightly, "Why?"

"Because we get to do it with the boys." She smirked, nodding towards the group of boys who were walking towards them.

Blythe sighed, and turned towards the teacher, who was waiting for the boys to join them.

"Right, now that we're all here, I'll explain what we're going to be today today," Mr Reese said, "We're going to be running the whole circle of the track-" the class groaned, and Mr Reese shushed them, "-with a partner."

Indi and Blythe glanced at each other and smiled, which Mr Reese noticed and shook his head.

"Normally, I let you pick your partners, but today, I'll pick them for you-" He said proudly, causing the class to groan again, but this time he ignored them, "-so that you can talk to people other than your best mates, okay?"

Indi and Blythe sighed, knowing that Mr Reese would definitely make sure that the two best friends were split apart.

Blythe looked around the class, and silently prayed that she didn't have to be paired with Cleo or anyone from her group of followers.

"-Cleo, you'll be with Dan. Tilly with Indi please," Mr Reese picked out the pairs and waited for each pair to stand by each other. Blythe watched as Indi rolled her eyes and mouthed "kill me now" to which Blythe bit her lip in attempt to stop herself from laughing, "And finally, Blythe, you'll be with Joshua."

Blythe' eyes widened as their names were read out, and she glanced over at Indi, who was grinning widely and nodding her head.

Blythe bit her lip, as Josh walked up to her.

He smiled, "Hey."

"Hi."

It wasn't that the two didn't know each other, because they did. They'd known each other since kindergarten, but they'd never been in the same friendship groups. While Josh had always been liked by everybody, Blythe had preferred to hang with nerds and geeks, like herself.

"You have the whole two hour lesson to complete the track, whether that's by running, walking or flying, just try and get to the end. If you finish early, just chill out on the grass for a while, got it?" Mr Reese asked, receiving a chorus of yes's, "Okay, good." And with that he blew his whistle.

Josh glanced at Blythe, before they began jogging. They jogged silently for a about seven minutes, before Blythe slowed into a walk.

"Can't keep up?" Josh asked, falling back slightly so he could walk beside her.

"I don't have brilliant stamina like you." She panted, holding her side due to the stitch that was forming on her side.

Josh smiled, and patted her shoulder, when Cleo ran up beside, her partner Dan next to her.

"Oh, I feel sorry for you, Joshie," She pouted, "It seems like the nerd is slowing you down."

"Actually Cleo, I don't mind walking the lap. I'm lucky I've got good company." Josh replied. Blythe tried to hide her smile as he said this, but Cleo saw it, and frowned in annoyance.

She huffed, and ran away, with Dan barely in tow.

"So, what's the deal with you two?" Blythe asked, watching as Cleo pushed through another pair as a way of getting to the front.

"We're currently on a break. I wish we weren't if I'm honest." Josh said, causing Blythe to frown at his words.

"You want to get back with her?"

"Oh, no, I don't want to be with her." Josh corrected himself, as Blythe sighed in relief. He glanced at her, "Want to run for a little while?"

Blythe shrugged, "Sure, if I can keep up."

❦ ✰ ❦ ✰