Chapter 13:

He pressed our lips together again and my eyes shut. I moved the ice, that I had somehow kept to his head through the whole exchange, onto the desk in front of us. We pulled apart, breathless and looked at each other. Smiles spread across both of our faces and we looked away from each other. I looked up to see Nancy looking at me with the widest grin. Standing up, I walked over to Nancy.

"So. You and him?" She asked.

"I feel bad." I admitted.

She looked at me with a confused look. "Why?"

"Because I feel like I took him away from you." I looked at the ground.

"No. I took him away from you." She shook her head.

I raised an eybrow. "What are you talking about?"

"I knew you liked him but I went ahead with my own feelings." She said.

We stood in silence for a moment. I wasn't sure what to say exactly and apparently neither did she.

"He was right, you know." She finally spoke.

I looked up at her. "About what?"

"You deserve to be put first. You've been putting people in front of yourself for yours now and we haven't realized it. You need this." As she said this there was a small smile on her face.

I gave her a small smile. "Thanks."

"Now go." She lightly shoved me back towards him.

I went back and sat down in the chair beside him nervously. Before either of us could say or do anything, Joyce walked towards us.

"Hey. Jonathan. Jesus. What happened?" She asked her son.

"Ma'am." An officer said standing up from the desk behind us.

"I'm fine." Jonathan mumbled.

Joyce looked at his hands that were on the desk. "Why is he wearing handcuffs?"

"Well your boy assulted a police officer, that's why." The officer from behind us answered.

"Take them off." She ordered.

I looked at Jonathan and he looked uncomfortable.

"I am afraid I cannot do that." He said looking at Joyce while putting his hands on his hips.

"Take them off!" She ordered again, louder this time.

I jumped slightly at her tone and Jonathan looked at me.

"You heard her. Take them off." Chief Hopper said from behind her.

"Chief." Another officer said.

We all turned to face him. Nancy was now by us.

"I get everyone is emotional here but there's something you need to see." He looked around at all of us.

The cheif walked out with the other officers and minutes later they came back in carrying the box we got.

"What is this?" Joyce asked digging through the box.

"Why don't you ask your son? We found it in his car." One of the officers asked.

"What?" Joyce looked at her son surprised.

"Why are you going through my car?" Jonathan sat forward.

I looked at Nancy and she looked at the ground.

"Is that really the question you should be asking right now?" The chief leaned forward on the desk towards Jonathan. "I want to see you in my office."