Chapter 17:

Jonathan parked the car and turned to look at me.

"You ready?" He asked.

I nodded and the three of us climbed out of the car. Walking up to the house, I knocked on the door and felt Jonathan's hand in mine. The door opened and my mom stared in disbelief.

"You're home." She breathed out.

I let go of Jonathan's hand and rushed forward, pulling her into a hug.

"Where have you been?" She asked pulling away and looking at me.

"On a crazy adventure. But you have to sit down for it cause you won't believe me." I looked at her.

She nodded and looked behind me. I turned to see Nancy and Jonathan standing at the door.

"Come in." I said.

The walked in and I closed the door behind them.

"Nancy, sweetheart, how are you?" Mom asked pulling her into a hug.

"I'm good, Louise. How are you?" Nancy asked sweetly.

"Better." She nodded.

Pulling away from Nancy, she turned and her eyes landed on Jonathan.

"I don't believe we met." Mom stepped towards him.

I turned to look to look at Jonathan, unsure of how to really introduce him.

"I'm Jonathan. Lee's boyfriend." He said giving my mom a small smile.

Mom's face filled with shock and I looked at Nancy who smiled.

"Boyfriend?" Mom asked looking at me.

I nodded. "Yeah. Sorry. I've been too busy to tell you but it's for a reason."

"Do you guys want anything to drink?" I asked.

"I'm good sweetie." Mom waved her hand.

"I'll take water." Nancy nodded.

I nodded and looked at Jonathan.

"I'll help you." He said.

I turned and walked into the kitchen, Jonathan following. Once we were at the sink I turned to him.

"Boyfriend?" I asked.

"I want to give your mom some good news with the bad news that's to come. Plus I wanted to talk to you about it but I never got the chance with everything that's been happening so I thought it'd be a nice surprise." He shrugged.

I looked at him and smiled.

"What?" He asked.

Shaking my head, I wrapped my arms around his neck and his arms went instantly around my waist.

"Lee." My mom's voice interrupted.

I pulled away from Jonathan to see my mom standing in the door way.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Can we talk?" She asked nervously.

I nodded. Jonathan went to walk away and I grabbed his jacket sleeve, pulling him back to me.

"Do you want anything to drink?" I remembered.

"Just water." He shrugged.

Quickly, I grabbed three glasses of water and filled them with water. Handing two of them to Jonathan, I looked up at him.

"Can you take that to Nance for me?" I looked up into his eyes..

He nodded and walked out past my mom. Mom watched him go before walking over to me.