Chapter Twenty Three

Alanna set the freshly made salad on the dining table. She smiled in approval at what Joanne and her mother had managed to cook and prepare in such a short amount of time.

"Everything alright in here?" Stephan asked as he popped his head around the corner of the dining room door. Alanna turned and smiled at him.

"Perfectly," she said with a small grin. "I think we're just waiting on ... well, everyone."

Stephan chuckled. "It won't be so bad, will it? If I'm not mistaken, I think the Hydes are coming tonight."

Alanna's expression brightened. "Really?"

Stephan smiled. "Really really."

Alanna grinned, causing Stephan to waggle his eyebrows. Alanna laughed. Unlike most fathers, Stephan wanted his daughters to go out and socialize, meet boys and go on dates. Almost all of his daughters got away with a little romance now and then. Melanie was the only exception, because all she wanted to do was go on dates and Stephan didn't approve of that kind of behaviour. He preferred his daughters to be more refined when it came to selecting suitable men, and most of his daughters did well to grant his wish. All except Melanie. She was constantly picking boys who Stephan didn't approve of and quite frankly, neither did the rest of the family.

Alanna had grown an attachment to the eldest of the Hyde family, Jackson, who was much older than her; fourteen, to be exact. Stephan wasn't entirely sure where the friendship would lead, but he was hoping for a positive outcome. After all, it wasn't often that one of his daughters actually found someone they were interested in, and all he wanted were grandchildren, though he was sure he wouldn't be getting any anytime soon.

***

A knock on the door startled the Harpshire family, who were all fawning over the new puppies. Twyla had taken a liking to a ball ornament hanging from the Christmas tree while little Bandit was messing around with a plastic bottle she had found in the rubbish.

"That'll be the in-laws," Stephan muttered as Harena stood to answer the door. Harena slapped her husband's shoulder.

"Be nice, dear, they are my siblings."

"Only niceness in this household, darling," Stephan said, patting his wife's hand delicately. Harena rolled her eyes and removed her hand from Stephan's shoulder. Stephan chuckled as she opened the door to reveal Harena's brothers, Geoffrey and Credence. She greeted them warmly, with hugs and kisses, and then it was the girls' turn to greet their uncles and cousins. Geoffrey and Credence had both had failed marriages that had ended up in divorce. Geoffrey had ended up with his two children in tow while Credence had only taken the child he had fathered; being married, he had three other step-children, but he didn't take them.

"Hey there Jo," Credence said as he greeted Joanne with a kiss on the cheek. He did the same in turn until he reached Emily. "Now, Emmy, I have a very important gift for you. Just you wait." He poked Emily's nose and she giggled. Geoffrey greeted all of his nieces with a kiss on the cheek, and then it was the cousins' turn to greet the girls.

"Ana!" Alanna greeted her favourite cousin. "Good to see you, little cousin!"

"Likewise," Ana said before the two burst out in a fit of giggles.

"That was way too formal, Ana," Alanna giggled.

"You're telling me," Ana said with a cheesy grin.