28. Cigarettes

For AmeezyBabee_  :)

I gathered my books and headed to the vending machine in the cafeteria. The spring break went by faster than I thought. I spent most of it with my father and Austin, usually up in my room.

I stuck a old crumpled dollar bill my mother had given me into the slot. It slid back out and hung off the rim of the slot. I looked at the dollar bill for a moment before taking it back in my hands. I tried to straighten it against the corners of the machine. I slid it back into the slot only to have it come back out. I sighed in frustration.

Fucking stupid dollar.

I shoved it in my pocket and took out a crisp dollar and put it the machine. I pressed the required buttons for the bag of chips I wanted.

I watched it fall and I bent down to pick it up.

I turned on my heel and began walking out of the cafeteria that was welcoming more and more kids due to the lunch period just beginning.

I shoved the chips in my bag hoping not to pop it. 

I caught up with Noah who had been in the hallway heading up the stairs.

"Noah," I called out. "wait up."

He stopped and turned around, watching me scurry over to him.

"Hey, tiny." He grinned.

"I grew an inch. I'm two inches away from normal height so shut up." I groaned.

He chuckled at me before speaking.

"Are you heading going to the library?" He asked.

I nodded.

"I'll come along then." He smiled.

"You always do." 

I headed up the stairs and to the library, Noah behind me, talking about something while I listened.

"Are you seeing Austin?" He asked.

"Well that was random." I laughed a bit. How'd he go from talking about basketball to to talking about me and Austin?

"Just answer the question." He groaned.

"Yeah, why?" I shrugged.

"Nothing specifically, just out of curiosity." He said running a hand through his hair whilst grabbing the library door knob. He twisted it and opened the door, holding it open for me.

"Thank you, fine gentleman. " I said sarcastically.

"Well, I know." He said cockily.

"Remember when you used to wear that stupid life vest all the time?" I said changing the subject and not wanting to put up with his cocky attitude.

I already had enough of it from Austin.

"Didn't I tell you it was to keep me from drowning in pussy?" He joked.

I broke out in heavy laughter, only to be hushed by the librarian.

"Noah, noo. I wasn't ready." I said,  referring to his joke.

He was one of the funniest people I knew. I never got bored around him.

I spotted Andrea and went to sit with her, Noah close behind. A huge grin was still plastered on my face when I reached the table. She was reading some book called "Absent".

"What's so funny?" She asked.

"Nothing." Andrea was never around when Noah wore the life vest, so it lacked reasoning to explain to her.