34. The Evening

For ZoeyMahone28

Love you darling :)

I curled up in the front seat of Austin’s car. It’s been a few days since what happened. I had told Austin about the ideas I had for the D.O.E.  Now, my parents think I’m vacationing with Austin when really, I’m helping gangs plot an ambush against another gang. We were going to discuss things with Jason and Austin had arranged for me to be staying there for a while. I can still see what Austin did to Luke clearly in my head.  Austin’s reaction scared me. I can’t help but feel hurt for him. All Austin ever wanted was a normal childhood. All he wanted was a normal family and a normal life. He wanted what most people already had. There’s so much I don’t know about him and now, I’m just too afraid to ask.

I looked at him while he drove. Austin’s idea of spending time with me was different from mine. He’d rather drive for hours to a remote location and then just stop right there in the middle of nowhere and make a date wherever we are. As romantic as it sounds, Austin’s mostly quiet. So we’d usually be driving for 2 to 3 hours in a comfortable silence or at least the sound of his favorite radio station. I’d read a book or listen to music while he focused on the road or talked on the phone with his headphones in.

“Austin..” I said, trying to spark up conversation.

“Mhmm?” He hummed.

“Are you alright?” I asked him. He’s been awfully out of it lately. And by lately, I mean ever since he found out about Luke. It’s not even like he’s upset, he’s just more pissed off and quiet. He wants to spend time with me, but because of what happened, he barely wants to have a conversation.

“I’m fine.” He said.

“No you’re not. Talk to me.” I said, unlatching my arms from my curled knees and putting my knees down. I scooted over to him and nuzzled against him, leaning my arm on the cup holder.

“I am talking to you.” He said plainly.

I didn’t want to push him, but I think it’s time we talk about it.

“You can’t run away from it forever.”  I said simply. He sighed heavily giving in. I could tell he had a soft spot when it came to me and he was upset About something. He couldn’t stay mad if I was around even if he tried.

“I’m not running away from it.” He began.  “I simply just don’t want to talk about it. You wouldn’t understand. You don’t have siblings.”

“I’d like to understand. But you just don’t let me.” I sighed.

“It’s not like that. I just feel like I’ve been lied to my whole life. I didn’t find out about Luke until the other day. I didn’t know a thing about my mother, father or sister or Drew and Brian until I turned 14.  I was convinced that it was just me and Alex. I was convinced my birth mother was dead. And now, someone who I thought was dead for almost 10 years just reappears in my life. It’s not something you can just talk about and get over Eliza. My family is fucked up.” He spoke.

“Your family is not fucked up Austin. It’s just a unique combination of people. Just because you all don’t live together or grew up together doesn’t make you all strangers. You’re all a family.” I tried to explain. I suck at comforting people. Especially Austin, since he despises pity so much.