Hounded

Verres

My senses were utterly overpowered, hit by an impenetrable barrage of death, it was everywhere, suffocating and malicious. It was too late now, to try and go the other way around the mountain, the injuries of the little one were too severe, and I fear that I have already been detected. Rocks crumbled beneath my trotters, many of which turned out to be the skulls of various unfortunate organisms. One of the skulls was a warning, it was that of an anciently grizzly, and it was quite fresh, perched upon a stack of stones with a metal rod struck through the forehead.

I could feel Saul becoming uneasy, his body tensing with my every step, higher and higher up into the range. It was silent out here, save for the occasional crack of my hooves on rock and the snapping of bones. Other than that, all I could hear were the echoes of my paranoia, the plague telling me to eat the boy, and the ceaseless roaring that raced through my mind. It's hard to tell what will really kill me... Them, the plague, or my own insanity. These years are unkind to those who do not deserve them.

"Grrr..." I twitched my ears, attempting to find the source of the snarl, but only the whisper of the wind disturbed the silence. I plodded onwards warily, my muscles taut and my eyes wandering about suspiciously. There was something familiar in the air, something hot, bloody, musky... greasy. What was it? I racked my brain for the answer, it was so familiar, but long gone in the centuries past, shrouded in dusty layers so numerous it may as well be encased in stone.

I shook my mane in an inconspicuous manner to force the little one upright. Whatever is out here, I have my doubts that it is anything friendly. But I did not want them to know that I knew they have been stalking us for miles. It was only a matter of time before they decided I was a prize worthy of chancing. Mere moments after the thought crossed my mind, a couple rocks toppled down from the ledge above me.

I swiveled my eyes to behold the grotesque visage, or shall I say skull, of what at one point must have been canine. Surprised by its sudden appearance, I lost my footing on the loose sandstone and slid down several meters. Saul cried out, ducking down into my mane. Frantically, I swept my legs about, managing to gain a hold on a sturdy ledge. I stood for a moment, then glared upwards at the disfigured interloper.

For even his kind, he was terribly ugly. Fangs that could really only be described as asymmetrical tusks grew from is lower jaw, cutting into his snout. The dog's entire body was mechanical, save for the pitiable yellow hide that clung in rotting tatters to the metal sinew below it. The body beneath the fur had long since outgrown the skin that once covered it, octupled in size, and then some.

	He opened his unsightly maw, into what seemed to be a wide, malicious grin, but without lips to hide any of his titanium canines, it was disgusting to say the least

He opened his unsightly maw, into what seemed to be a wide, malicious grin, but without lips to hide any of his titanium canines, it was disgusting to say the least. The dog took a few steps down, his twitching and clicking gait making for a disconcerting spectacle. Not one to be easily intimidated, I held my ground as several of the gargantuan mutts approached. All kept their distance except for one, the magenta-eyed gargoyle-esque monstrosity. Any beast that cocky enough to face me off must have some serious confidence in his claws.

*Greetings... My dear, dear porcine Lord. Why is it you are trespassing through my lovely mountains on this beautiful day.* The sound of his glitched bass voice reverberated around my mind. *...Can you not hear me? Or is it that you have you gone dumb with age? Ahahah... Stupid ungulates, I should have never expected more from your kind. After your father was run out of this range squealing like game I see no reason for me to spare you any respect. "Ruled these mountains..." he said, what hogwash!*

I snarled in his sneering face, *I care little for your crowing you old hound. Let me through, I mean no trouble.* He howled with laughter, the rest of his pack joining in on the sickening, discordant yelping.

*I would rather see your bones bleaching between my fangs, runt.* He got out between bouts of laughter.

*Let me through, you puny, impudent, bastard son of a bitch! I will trample you all!* I roared, advancing on the bony creature.

*The pig's ordering ME around! Aha! Do you know who you are speaking to you silly swine? I am King Lycus! Look at me and my pack, a mightier and more magnificent assemblage you shall never see!*

I snorted. *And you know that I am Lord-Prince Verres, Son of King Ramverres, son of King Besuverres. All of which were far nobler beasts than even you. Now let me through!*

King Lycus reared onto his hind legs, raising his paws over his maw, *Oh no... The big bad pig is going to kill me! Oh!* His canine cronies hacked out the rest of their lungs with their screechy cackling as he swooned. *I'm toying with ye, give me the human and I'll let you pass through.*

*No thank you, I'll be taking him with me.* I grunted, forcing King Lycus to back up the slope as I continued my climb.

He growled, low and viciously. Within seconds, his dogs were on me, piling onto my sides and attempting to clamber up onto my back. I leapt up the mountainside, attempting to throw them, and successfully crushing a few mutts underfoot. Feeling their fangs bury themselves into my flesh, I bulled forward into space, taking Saul and half a dozen bewildered dogs with me.

When I landed, I was lucky enough not the snap any of my precious limbs on impact. To break the force of impact, I continued my mad sprint down the mountainside, throwing all caution aside, pelting down the rocks and smashing boulders as I went. King Lycus barked out orders, howling out incomprehensible assignments to his officers.

A coyote's piercing shriek broke through the air, and immediately after the thunder of rolling rocks and several more screams filled my ears. Echoes from the past have come back to haunt me. Proud bugling rang out over the mountains... From what depths of hell..! I spun about to see what could have been only a ghost, a boar, far larger than I and almost entirely metal. There was no mistaking it, it was him!

"RUN! GODDAMNIT RUN!!" Saul screamed into my ears, I was caught shocked in the moment. I turned, attempting to look back, but ultimately fleeing down the slope. My eye teared up in the wind, or that is what I would like to convince myself. Once my vision cleared, it was too late, my front trotter was caught in a cranny, and the inertia carried the rest of my body over my head. My sight was lost and my systems failed.