Reconciling

Saul

 The last thing I saw was the sky going dark as the boar flipped over. I awoke still clinging to his mane, my hand raw and trembling. When I looked up, I saw that the second boar stood way up above us. In the blinding brightness of midday, the metal titan was a second, bluey-silver sun. This boar was far greater than the already monstrous travelling companion beside me. He was entirely mechanized, just like those huge fanged coydog brutes that had attacked us. I watched in awe as the godlike war machine crushed, shredded and tossed the canines into the air with unparalleled strength. Realizing his pack was done for, the leader of the pummeled dogs cried out, calling back his forces to the North end of the range.

By the time all of the dogs had fled from sight, the massive, metal boar was making his way down to us. He limped down the hill on a reconstructing foreleg, wires wreathed their way about the damaged limb, wriggling about and reconnecting, others fusing together to form continuous muscle. I shrunk back in awe, I had never seen a beast heal itself so quickly before. How on earth did this one manage to do so? Feeling a stir beneath me, I remembered that the forest boar was still unconscious. No sooner had I managed to wake the boar beneath me, the second had practically made his way on top of us. I got a better look at his face, which was lipless, and his snout was not much more than bone. I could see every single one of his gleaming teeth, as well as the moment of every single fleshed out muscle that was laid bare on his hideless body.

Finally, a low groan escaped the scarred maw of my boar. His eyes flickered open, and fixed themselves on the newcomer. He got up and shook dirt violently from his bristles. Then, with a look that could be described as a cross between hatred and graciousness, my boar affixed his gaze upon the larger one before us. The metal goliath glanced at me for a moment, before setting his attention upon my companion. Their eyes locked, in exactly the same manner I had witnessed between the boar and the dogs. I was driven to silent wonderment as the two porcine gods stood face to face, almost touching. They must be... communicating. The meaning of their intent gazes were lost on me, but I could tell it was something far from good, whatever it was they were discussing. I could feel the inner workings of the boar I was riding churn away with with great speed.

When at last my boar backed away, I breathed a sigh of relief, both he and the other seemed to be slightly more at ease. My boar bowed his bristling head honorably to the archaic metal king. Once more, they locked their glowy glassy eyes upon each other, silently speaking in a manner unknown to me. The king roared once more, but in a mellower manner. He backed up, and made his way into the mountains, his mountains, and wandered off to the South. Seemingly satisfied, my boar cried out, so deep and loud that it made rocks tumble from the sides of the mountain.

I settled down into his mane, making sure I still had both of my swords and my tack together. Luckily, nothing was damaged or missing, even after all those hounds tore at us. Pain rushed through my arm, rendering me sweating and gasping. Verres flicked his ears back in concern, letting out a low whine. I mumbled something of a 'don't be worried, I'm fine' and bit my tongue. I hope we could make it to Blackhill in time.