Truth

Sitting around a fire, were five of the six rangers.

"If I weren't stuck in this wall, I would eat that junk food!" Zack said, trying to imitate Zordon. "What happened back there?"

Jaylyn had just walked up, staring blankly at the fire. She turned to look at Zack, shaking her head.

"Nothing. Don't worry about it," she answered, sitting down.

"Billy, how'd you do it?" Jason asked. "How'd you morph?"

"I don't know," Billy answered, looking around.

"What were you guys thinking about when we're trying to morph?" Jaylyn asked the team.

"You must shed your masks to wear this armor," Kimberly imitated, throwing a piece of wood on the fire.

The rangers chuckled, except Jaylyn. She didn't see what was so funny about it. The talk with Zordon had dampened her usual cheerful mood.

"Think only of each other and the morphing grid will open to you," Billy tried.

"Yeah, that's better," Kimberly agreed.

"Well, maybe it's because we don't know each other," Zack suggested. "Maybe thats why we can't morph."

Billy threw his jacket to Kimberly to keep her warm. The others weren't so sure about Zack's suggestion.

"Okay," Kimberly said.

"No, I'm serious. Let's do this. For real," he replied, standing up.

"What?" Kimberly mouths at Jaylyn.

"I'm Zack," Zack started. "And I am a Power Ranger."

Everyone minus Jaylyn laughed. She decided to stay out of the conversation altogether.

"Hi, Zack," the rest said.

"Truth: I live in the Melody Mobile Home Park," Zack continued. "It's just me and my mom. And my mom? My mom is the best!" he yelled, his voice echoing. "But my mom, she's sick. I do what I can, but... but I'm scared. Sometimes I get too scared to stay there at night, 'cause... 'cause I'm afraid she can't make it."

Everyone was looking at him in sympathy. Jaylyn didn't look at him, though. She was staring at the stars, thinking of her own family that had abandoned her for no reason at all. She felt anger, sadness, and disappointment in her heart at the thought.

"And if she goes... when she goes, I got nobody else," Zack continued. "Look, I think being with you guys is good for me."

"Let's do that," Billy said, after a moment of silence. "Let's tell our secrets. It'll-- it'll help us. Okay, I got a secret."

Billy stood up, candy bar in one hand. He paused for a moment before going on.

"I like country music."

"What?" Trini chuckles.

"No, matter of fact, I love country music," Billy corrected.

Everyone laughed. Again, Jaylyn didn't react at all.

"And I don't... I don't miss my dad as much. I mean, coming to the mine with him was all I had. But coming to the mine with you guys is just as good. Yeah."

He sat down as others looked at him with sadness and smiles at being complimented a bit.

"Bigger secret is why were you in detention?" Jason asked.

"I blew up my lunchbox," he answered.

"What?" Kimberly asked, laughing.

"What, it was an accident, okay?" Billy defended.

Everyone was laughing, but still not Jaylyn.

"Of course," Trini said.

"My lunchbox was in my locker. Boom goes the lunchbox, in detention goes Billy," Billy explained. "But let's not forget that Kimberly Hart was also in-- in detention, too, so..."

There was silence as eyes turned to Kimberly. She looked a little freaked out and shook her head.

"Not tonight," she said. "Skip me."

"What about you, dude?" Zack asked Jason. "Why don't you tell us who you really are?"

"Because everyone knows exactly who I am," Jason answered.

"What about you, crazy girl?" Zack asked, turning to Trini.

"I could tell you anything and you'd have to believe me," she answered. "Okay, um... I'm the new girl. Always. Three schools in three years. What's crazy is that I like it that way. You know, it's just easier. Nobody ever has to get to know me and uh, my parents don't have to worry about my relationships."

"Boyfriend troubles?" Zack asked.

"Yeah. Boyfriend troubles," she answered.

"Girlfriend troubles?" Zack continued.

"My family is so normal," she said after a few seconds, avoiding the question. "Too normal. They believe in labels. They'd like for me to, um... dress differently. Talk more. Have the kinds of friends they want me to have. It's just-- I don't know how to tell them what's really going on with me. And I've never said any of this out loud."

The others had been dead silent as they listened to her story.

"Well, it's cool. You're with us now," Billy assured her, holding out his hand for her to shake.

"Am I?" Trini asked. "What does that mean? When all this is over. Are we Power Rangers or... are we friends?"

"Jaylyn. What about you?" Kimberly asked.

All eyes turned to her. She didn't react at first. Slowly, she looked up to meet the eyes of her team. With a sigh, she gathered her thoughts.

"I was abandoned at birth. I was raised by a family that wasn't my own. When I was old enough to fend for myself, they threw me out. I lived in the forest, making a house by myself. I made a last name for myself. Jaylyn Forest. I managed to sneak into school and get educated. I got in detention for accidentally giving someone a severe concussion. I have never had friends before, so I am glad to have met you all. My life is very complicated and hard. I'm surprised I managed to live this long, actually. I've never had anyone to tell someone about all this," Jaylyn whispered.

The others were silent as they listened to her life story. They had their own hardships, but nothing like her's. They felt sympathy for the girl as she stared at the ground between her feet. She sighed and stood up, going to her forest home. The others slowly followed her lead and went to their own houses.